Is the building industry about to collapse, and how much impact will it have on tree work?

Steve Bullman

I was having a discussion some months ago with someone (I forget who) that was saying that the building industry was grinding to a halt. My response to that was that it wasn’t what I was seeing in my area, with lots of large new build estates still popping up all over the place. He then pointed out that what I was seeing was projects that had been in the pipeline for many months or years in some cases, but there was no new developments coming through.

Moving on a few months in still seeing plenty of building going on, however I was speaking to a new client yesterday(builder) who basically told me the same story and how a lot of builders are being layed off all over the place, sometimes in large numbers. Builders have had it pretty good for quite a few years now and are probably going to be in for a bit of a shock when they realise they can’t command a £300-£400 a day wage anymore.

Obviously this will have a knock on effect to tree work and the wider economy. Curious if those of you who carry out any significant amount of work for builders/developers having seen a noticeable slowdown in the amount of work you’re getting?

The company I’m with at the moment did a lot of the preliminary Eco and Arb surveys prior for large housing developments. I was involved with quite a few when I first started. Interestingly, only single dwellings/developments  seem to come through. I hadn’t given it much thought until I read this post. We mainly focus on large scale utilities now.

15 minutes ago, Steve Bullman said:

I was having a discussion some months ago with someone (I forget who) that was saying that the building industry was grinding to a halt. My response to that was that it wasn’t what I was seeing in my area, with lots of large new build estates still popping up all over the place. He then pointed out that what I was seeing was projects that had been in the pipeline for many months or years in some cases, but there was no new developments coming through.

Moving on a few months in still seeing plenty of building going on, however I was speaking to a new client yesterday(builder) who basically told me the same story and how a lot of builders are being layed off all over the place, sometimes in large numbers. Builders have had it pretty good for quite a few years now and are probably going to be in for a bit of a shock when they realise they can’t command a £300-£400 a day wage anymore.

Obviously this will have a knock on effect to tree work and the wider economy. Curious if those of you who carry out any significant amount of work for builders/developers having seen a noticeable slowdown in the amount of work you’re getting?

Load of tosh steven. 

5 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

I think the big builders are chewing because they can’t trouser as much profit as usual.

This government, and Labour, are hell-bent on building 300,000 new homes every year though.

I can see a slow-down, but not a crash.

Yes mark, easy money days are long gone but plenty of work about. I pull £32 an hour helping a mate 2 days a week.

Edited by topchippyles

With a customer last month and we talk to a builder about access from his yard, he said it had gone quiet got 3 houses built he hadn't shifted. Think it is going to be hard for small building companies building houses on small sites, but those do agriculture building are busy.