GreenMech CS 100 Chipper Losing power

JBASport

I have a GreenMech CS100 Chipper with a Briggs & Stratton 18HP V Twin. It has started to have problems where it loses power, nearly stops and then builds up power again and then does the same again & again. I have to have the choke on else it stops. To add to that, I was manage to contain chipping wood when the power was sufficient, but on one cycle when the power dropped I have ended up with one of the bits of branch jamming the cutter head!

So any advice on the power surge and un jamming the cutter head would be most welcome.

Does the engine run smoothly when not under load? Only running issues I have had were due to a blocked jet in the carb, which resulted in the engine hunting. It’s a relatively straightforward fix once the air filter and fuel tank are removed. I do blow the air filter and pre-filter out quite regularly, so worth checking that the filter is clean too. Check the fuel tank and lines for debris. I’ve removed the fuel pipe from the pump to the carb before to check on flow rate, that may give an idea whether enough fuel is pumping through to the carb. Re the blockage……a couple of options…..you can remove the belt cover and push a bar or spanner open end into the hole in the end of the cutter block shaft and rotate it backward to release the item. Also tip it onto the feed chute and crawl inside to remove the blockage by hand (making sure the key is out and the red kill switch is depressed), or if that doesn’t work, drop the cutter block out, as if you were changing the blades, and you’ll have full access to it then. Hope that helps in some way!

• Like 1

Sounds like fuel. Pull the carb and clean it, also check for debris in the fuel tap and check for an in-line fuel filter (often at the start of the fuel line under the tank) as this will give those symptoms- not enough fuel trickling through to support the engine properly under load. 

were it a Honda I’d say stick a new copy carb on it, but they don’t seem so easy to find for Briggs. I haven’t looked hard though, as I try to avoid anything with a Briggs engine. 

I have taken your advice and managed to remove the blockage by removing the shute. Regarding cleaning the fuel system I would welcome some advice on what to remove and what to clean. The inline fuel filter appears to be reasonably clear. But not sure what I need to remove and clean on the carb. I have attached a couple of pictures to help. Many thanks, Terry

Carb 1.jpg

Carb 2.jpg

Once you solve this problem I recommend you buy a fuel funnel with a fine mesh and keep it in a box or plastic bag, contamination is the simplest thing to help avoid and 1 of the most simplest ways to ruin a good day and trying to get sorted.  Most of us learned the hard way.  Best of luck 

• Like 2