Quality/durability of different makes of wood burning stoves.

I can 2nd the Charnwood being a great stove, I have been using a 16b multifuel for about 18 years, last year was the 1st part I had to change, a plate at the back of the grate think it was about £60, so it’s doing good touch wood.

@Alycidonare the 16b’s still made or do they have a direct replacement, just thinking if it it die catastrophicallywhat would I replace it with as it does all my domestic hot water and central heating ?

On a slight tangent.  I have a big Clearview that has developed a warp in the rear wall. Its not that bad, but it makes reattaching the flue harder.  Has anyone had any luck straightening out issues like this.  I was thinking of some heat and giving it a thump behind a flat surface.

Edited by Muddy42

On 08/03/2024 at 10:17, Muddy42 said:

On a slight tangent.  I have a big Clearview that has developed a warp in the rear wall. Its not that bad, but it makes reattaching the flue harder.  Has anyone had any luck straightening out issues like this.  I was thinking of some heat and giving it a thump behind a flat surface.

Scrap it would be the safest option,    you have been burning it to hot or using it without a rear fire brick in place.   Seen a couple of Clearview 650s do this.  

A

23 hours ago, davewright01 said:

I also like Charnwoods + have owned several - I've now gone over to Burley though - they are just incredibly efficient - I think I'm burning half the wood I did with Charnwood

Must have been a very old Charnwood,   are you getting ash build up on the left hand side of the glass or have they now redesigned them ?.

A

6 hours ago, Alycidon said:

Scrap it would be the safest option,    you have been burning it to hot or using it without a rear fire brick in place.   Seen a couple of Clearview 650s do this.  

A

Thanks, but that's not really my style.  It rarely gets used anyway.  I'll speak to a local metal working firm.

On 08/03/2024 at 10:17, Muddy42 said:

Cast iron? good luck.... (you might heat it locally enough to bend it but will need to heat the whole lot to ease the stresses afterwards)

Might be easier to adjust the flue to fit? easier to bend, adjust and cut to shape, or make a collar to fit between the stove and flue.

Firebricks are probably not off the shelf for 'rear warped Clearview brick', so perhaps get some mouldable refractory or fireclay, rolled 1" thick and pushed into place for the shape. Perhaps put some clingfilm or paper between the stove and clay so it doesn't stick

For what its worth I have a Jotul F 400 , 24 years old, cast iron, bolted together  construction. Not cheap, even 24 years ago. Bombproof, single door  stove which will take a 50 cm long log. Goes all winter - Oct - April ish  Definitely for a larger room, never versions are so called Eco Designs- not sure what these are like. The self clearing system is not brilliant but OK. Simple one lever - left to right air control- my only comment which can be seen as a slight negative is a small amount of smoke can get out when the door is opened. Based on the longevity I guess I would buy another Jotul but hopefully this one will see me out.