Oregon Chain Grinder Questions

Donnie

39 minutes ago, gdh said:

Yeah, I would be £2.50 plus vat and more for a 404 chain. It's a guess to be honest because I only got it around the beginning of the year.

There's not much time involved, whenever I walk past I just hang another chain on and leave it going . I'm not looking at doing it as a big thing, just if someone asks I might as well make use of the machine.

What machine is it?

I'm guessing a lot of chain grinders are air cooled rather than slitter a load of coolant and oil everywhere. I know when I used to be an engineer using a lathe or a mill used to have coolant all over the place. Be worse with something like that...

how much was that machine? @gdh

3 hours ago, adw said:

Oh my god, you can actually see the cutters going blue, yet another chain ruined!

Don't panic! The chain is healthy and still in use on our processor.

The video is the only one I had to hand, it's the first time I used it and it was taking too much but I've got it set up nicely now.

15 minutes ago, JDon said:

I'm guessing a lot of chain grinders are air cooled rather than slitter a load of coolant and oil everywhere. I know when I used to be an engineer using a lathe or a mill used to have coolant all over the place. Be worse with something like that...

Yes, no coolant on this machine, so only filings to clean up thankfully.

I think it's about 4k now. It's the mid range one so it does the depth gauges at the same time but hasn't got a sensor for double teeth.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, gdh said:

Don't panic! The chain is healthy and still in use on our processor.

The video is the only one I had to hand, it's the first time I used it and it was taking too much but I've got it set up nicely now.

Yes, no coolant on this machine, so only filings to clean up thankfully.

I think it's about 4k now. It's the mid range one so it does the depth gauges at the same time but hasn't got a sensor for double teeth.

4K isn't bad at all really. I'm doing 15 chains on this Oregon one for a fella I cut firewood for. 4 quid a chain. It'd be grand to scale this side hustle up to buying that sort of machine

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JDon said:

4K isn't bad at all really. I'm doing 15 chains on this Oregon one for a fella I cut firewood for. 4 quid a chain. It'd be grand to scale this side hustle up to buying that sort of machine

To be honest it's basically a luxury for me. After hand sharpening thousands of times it's nice to be able to just put one on when I walk past and it frees up my Sundays a bit instead of having a pile of chains at the end of the week.

I thought about doing it more for others but I don't want to deal with all the postage and having to swap the chain every 10 minutes would be a pain if I'm not working near it.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JDon said:

If you used to be an engineer then you should have an understanding of cooling. The grinder isn't really 'air cooled'- it has no cooling at all! 'Air cooled' would suggest forced air somewhere, such as the fan on a chainsaw.

You don't need coolant everywhere as the heat generated is nothing like that generated taking a heavy skim off 50mm metal bar in a lathe, for instance. A mist coolant using just water and an airline is simple, cheap and incredibly effective.

WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for 8mm Air Pipe Mist Coolant Lubrication System for CNC...