House boats with wood burners targeted.

Ty Korrigan

2 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

Some sad people about by the sounds of it. I bought a place next to the canal because I enjoy seeing the boats. I for one wouldn’t be reporting someone for keeping warm.

I agree. I quite like the smoke and smell when walking down the canal in the winter.  I suppose some folk don’t though. 

1 minute ago, Chris at eden said:

They did but it’s hard to get legal to take it on. It has to be a slam dunk as councils can’t afford to lose cases due to the costs. 

That's exactly my point, I had this argument with the council and councillors many times as fly tippers used the council carparks as a dumping ground yet we couldn't just put a solar powered camera in the sign.

6 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

Some sad people about by the sounds of it. I bought a place next to the canal because I enjoy seeing the boats. I for one wouldn’t be reporting someone for keeping warm.

I’ll give you an example of sad. I used to have one resident that used to phone me to say her neighbour was cutting down his TPO trees. When I got there he would be mowing the grass and she didn’t like the noise but knew I wouldn’t come out for that. 

She wanted all their trees out but obviously that didn’t happen. Then she would complain when he pruned his shrubs. When I explained that only the trees were protected she would make a formal complaint to the chief exec and MP.  She would say I had said all sorts of stuff but I always backed it up with an email or letter so I’d just send the emails to the MP saying ‘no, this is what I said’.  After a while though you end up with a lot of history and you have to keep sending it to various people and it just gets more and more complicated. 

Most people are fine but you get probably about 6-8 people who just take up all your time.  Then folk think council’s aren’t doing anything but they just get tied up with nonsense.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, GarethM said:

That's exactly my point, I had this argument with the council and councillors many times as fly tippers used the council carparks as a dumping ground yet we couldn't just put a solar powered camera in the sign.

You can’t hide cameras to catch people. Can’t remember the act, RIPA maybe. But if you do it covertly you can’t use the evidence in court.  You could put cameras up but you would need signs telling people.  Then they either obscure number plates or tip somewhere else.  I’ve been in the CCTV room at my old local authority (trees are a problem for CCTV) and it’s a pretty big set up. It’s not just putting up the cameras it’s having the budget to manage it. 

On 24/09/2023 at 18:54, Chris at eden said:

You can’t hide cameras to catch people. Can’t remember the act, RIPA maybe. But if you do it covertly you can’t use the evidence in court.  You could put cameras up but you would need signs telling people.

I've always found that strange. "I've filmed you comitting a crime, got you bang to rights". "Ah, no, you didn't tell me you were filming, so it doesn't count".

But if you warned them you were filming / recording, they wouldn't commit the crime!

1 minute ago, sandspider said:

I've always found that strange. "I've filmed you comitting a crime, got you bang to rights". "Ah, no, you didn't tell me you were filming, so it doesn't count".

But if you warned them you were filming / recording, they wouldn't commit the crime!

Whilst at the same time cyclists can film car drivers legally and then the police take action!.

14 minutes ago, GarethM said:

Whilst at the same time cyclists can film car drivers legally and then the police take action!.

Not to mention dashcams in cars.  In fact there is a police website https://gosafesnap.wales/ where they invite people who have dashcam footage showing dangerous driving to upload clips.  I don't know if these get used in court, but I guess the police wouldn't ask for them if they couldn't use them in some way.)