Post Covid

Excels1or

19 hours ago, rapalaman said:

So on what do you base your opinion that landlords are all arseholes?

Padstow.

Not all arseholes but around 99% probably, is that fair? They extract more from society than they contribute, profiteering from the most basic of human needs. Supply and demand is OK and there's nothing theoretically evil about renting property, or selling cocaine for example, but in practice these people do tend to be arseholes.

Hang around some landlord circles and see how they talk about things. You can't throw a stone in Cornwall without hitting an arsehole renting three properties to full time working couples who can't get a mortgage, yet still whinges about how they don't make enough return on their "portfolio". Cancer.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tenner said:

there's nothing theoretically evil about renting property, or selling cocaine for example

Not sure I'd put the average landlord on the same level as drug dealers. Or for that matter casual cocaine users who conveniently ignore the fact that their purchases help to 'support' modern day slavery, people smuggling,  (child) prostitution, organised crime in general, terrorist groups etc etc

5 minutes ago, Puffingbilly413 said:

Not sure I'd put the average landlord on the same level as drug dealers. Or for that matter casual cocaine users who conveniently ignore the fact that their purchases help to 'support' modern day slavery, people smuggling,  (child) prostitution, organised crime in general, terrorist groups etc etc

Bear in mind that ticking the gift aid box does most of that. The world's tricky.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tenner said:

Padstow.

Not all arseholes but around 99% probably, is that fair? They extract more from society than they contribute, profiteering from the most basic of human needs. Supply and demand is OK and there's nothing theoretically evil about renting property, or selling cocaine for example, but in practice these people do tend to be arseholes.

Hang around some landlord circles and see how they talk about things. You can't throw a stone in Cornwall without hitting an arsehole renting three properties to full time working couples who can't get a mortgage, yet still whinges about how they don't make enough return on their "portfolio". Cancer.

well in my renting time i was happy with my landlords apart from a couple but they wernt too bad at all.

sure i would of liked to live in all the houses for free....

1 hour ago, tenner said:

yet still whinges about how they don't make enough return on their "portfolio". Cancer.

Detracting from the post some landlord sums:

Put in 20% deposit: Say 50k

Borrow £250k

Buy an average house - lets say £300k to keep sums easier

Do the sums right and your tenants pay the mortgage, maintenance, insurances and agency fees. T'Internet reckons a landlord should see 5% profit... This 5% isn't 5% of what they p[ut in (50k) but 5% off what the tenants pay, lets say £100 a month. Awww, that isn't much to get a house paid for for free..

...so lets fast forward 25 years when the mortgage is paid off, house price will have at least doubled at current rates. Lets go double. Landlord sells up, £50k has turned into £630k over 25 years (including the £100 a month).

Ahhh, my bleeding heart.

Edited by Steven P
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, tenner said:

Padstow.

Well as a landlord I’ll take exception to your comments. I rent to a variety of tenants, from benefits claimants who will always be so, will never work either through disability or by being of unemployable types, through to short term contractors who go where the work is until they move on. 
one tenant has been with me for 18 years or so. Sometimes in work, occasionally on benefits.

I strive to provide decent accommodation, carry out all repairs promptly and don’t put the rents up by extortionate amounts.

I’ve had tenants who have wrecked places, stopped paying their rent, installed a cannabis farm, had asbos against them etc.

Thankfully most are decent people who look after the properties at least to a fair degree. 
So to tar all landlords as arseholes would be as unfair as to say that all tenants are bad.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Steven P said:

Detracting from the post some landlord sums:

Put in 20% deposit: Say 50k

Borrow £250k

Buy an average house - lets say £300k to keep sums easier

Do the sums right and your tenants pay the mortgage, maintenance, insurances and agency fees. T'Internet reckons a landlord should see 5% profit... This 5% isn't 5% of what they p[ut in (50k) but 5% off what the tenants pay, lets say £100 a month. Awww, that isn't much to get a house paid for for free..

...so lets fast forward 25 years when the mortgage is paid off, house price will have at least doubled at current rates. Lets go double. Landlord sells up, £50k has turned into £630k over 25 years (including the £100 a month).

Ahhh, my bleeding heart.

Our you can save your money, buy a rental, and your tenants can not pay rent and cause thousands of damage before you go through the lengthy court process to evict them. 

If it goes well they've saved money, taken on risk, and after 25 years they reap some reward. Utter bastards. 

A few whingeing bitches on here. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Joe Newton said:

Our you can save your money, buy a rental, and your tenants can not pay rent and cause thousands of damage before you go through the lengthy court process to evict them. 

If it goes well they've saved money, taken on risk, and after 25 years they reap some reward. Utter bastards. 

A few whingeing bitches on here. 

Basically, entrepreneurship. Put money down at risk to hope to make a return.

To an extent it doesn't matter what the sector is, if people don't invest then the economy stalls.

Re Cornwall and similar places, we also have to remember that it took a local to sell their house at a profit to a richer incomer in the first place. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 20/09/2023 at 21:36, Puffingbilly413 said:

Re Cornwall and similar places, we also have to remember that it took a local to sell their house at a profit to a richer incomer in the first place. 

Okey dokey, well, as long as you're alright I guess it's just supply and demand, nothing to worry about. Profiteering off the most basic of human needs isn't just OK but should be encouraged as entrepreneurship in pursuit of the infinite growth our economy demands. What could possibly go wrong.

Honestly I hope it doesn't spread to your areas and the rest of the country. But really Cornwall's the canary down the coal mine and (making some educated guesses about this forum's posters) you're lucky to be relatively old and well-off. 

• Like 2