The Arbalk morning register!

Stephen Blair

59 minutes ago, Scotty2809 said:

Sorry Doug, 

The rain stopped play by the river. Roughly 500mm above the usual level, and i wasn't going to risk any potential mishaps.

We did however, have an hour down in the culvert area, to tidy the bank side to make it less hazardous. Quite a lot of windblown damage, so was ideal for the tension and compression class... 

We worked in pairs, one spotting, one cutting. Trying to teach the basics and hope that they come in handy one day.

There was a couple of high broken stumps that i let Wibbs have a go at. Again, teaching the basics and showing the importance of the face cut, back cut and holding wood, and how you can manipulate to turn and move weight (under certain circumstances) 

We didnt get any pictures, as we were both soaked to the skin and had to clean down the saws and tidy the piles. 

I may get Wibbs to start a new thread to hopefully show a progression as the months go on. 

I'm far from an expert, so i would hope the more experienced folk out there would give pointers and maybe offer a few days here and there to help with his growth.  

We've been the same here, due to do several bridge clearances last week for the council, we managed one little one but the rest were postponed due to the levels.

Be interesting to see how things progress, and I'm sure Wibbs will get advice on anything he needs!

Morning all.

Have a good one folks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Doug Tait said:

We've been the same here, due to do several bridge clearances last week for the council, we managed one little one but the rest were postponed due to the levels.

Be interesting to see how things progress, and I'm sure Wibbs will get advice on anything he needs!

Morning all.

Have a good one folks.

Just a couple of pictures from the River area this morning. 3 decent Oaks are down and a number of Birch and a relevantly small ash.

The big Oak is 27 inch diameter where the keys are placed (rough tape measurement)

pro-qsMCkkXS.thumb.jpeg.973068cf18ca0fd1f424c65333c57e22.jpegpro-po5miJzZ.thumb.jpeg.6652bbdf94f8f2ff498e9452468ff4a6.jpegpro-O2BkhYNO.thumb.jpeg.47a11dbc3fe43f37196758d08d0e04ff.jpegpro-mu6d9QBr.thumb.jpeg.d54ea4d6b1b6cb06aee92a32deb26b54.jpegpro-ilCQV7Pw.thumb.jpeg.94659742fffd1577c526e43c138cb3da.jpegpro-hTSt17Eb.thumb.jpeg.47168d996ac938757f69988483893dab.jpegpro-Dpiom30l.thumb.jpeg.472dccd61451959a7b149001a0ee49f2.jpeg

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Scotty2809 said:

Just a couple of pictures from the River area this morning. 3 decent Oaks are down and a number of Birch and a relevantly small ash.

The big Oak is 27 inch diameter where the keys are placed (rough tape measurement)

pro-qsMCkkXS.thumb.jpeg.973068cf18ca0fd1f424c65333c57e22.jpegpro-po5miJzZ.thumb.jpeg.6652bbdf94f8f2ff498e9452468ff4a6.jpegpro-O2BkhYNO.thumb.jpeg.47a11dbc3fe43f37196758d08d0e04ff.jpegpro-mu6d9QBr.thumb.jpeg.d54ea4d6b1b6cb06aee92a32deb26b54.jpegpro-ilCQV7Pw.thumb.jpeg.94659742fffd1577c526e43c138cb3da.jpegpro-hTSt17Eb.thumb.jpeg.47168d996ac938757f69988483893dab.jpegpro-Dpiom30l.thumb.jpeg.472dccd61451959a7b149001a0ee49f2.jpeg

You've a bit of work to do there!

Is it your own property or work stuff?

I look after a stretch of river bank locally for someone on my day off, keeping willow under control and lots of mowing and strimming. Really enjoy working around rivers...

What area are you?

30 minutes ago, Doug Tait said:

You've a bit of work to do there!

Is it your own property or work stuff?

I look after a stretch of river bank locally for someone on my day off, keeping willow under control and lots of mowing and strimming. Really enjoy working around rivers...

What area are you?

The area on the opposite side to the river is actually council owned. I had a full Land Registry report for the area we own and manage (work stuff, not my own land). I know the Gent that deals with the area and have given him a call to report the above. 

Unfortunately, i don't think i'll be doing the work. I assume Nick will send a gang out to cut a path and make safe. It's a decent trek to get any out unless i could gain access from the neighboring unit, and winched any decent lengths. 

There is a public footpath 40 meters from our boundary line, which two of the Oaks have crossed.

Fingers crossed i can have a few hours over there with their permission. I hate to see it wasted because effort is required to remove.

I love the work around the boundaries, and opening up small areas to allow the land to breathe. It hasn't been maintained well over the years (35-40 years) and in the past 4-5 years the woodland actually looks managed, with areas for wildlife and open areas for the ground to populate and generate.

I'm far from any expert on this level, but with work and a lot of questions, i can hopefully save an area from becoming a sludgy mess with a large amount of dead fallen trees.

I'm in the Chesterfield area, for work. 

I'd love to spend more time and effort looking after the wooded areas, but unfortunately, this is usually a weekend job that i don't get paid to do unless it's a critical job. Upkeep of the boundaries, is a paid job, weekend work. But the extra's in the wood and by the river are unpaid. 

I would rather have the satisfaction of looking into the wood and seeing it grow over the years. 

Edited by Scotty2809
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, maybelateron said:

Morning all,

Not bad here, just some drizzle. Felling a couple of local conifers today, last job for a few weeks. Having my Dupytrens hand surgery tomorrow. Oh no, I won't be able to chop vegetables or wash up for the next fortnight.

Have a good day all.

@maybelateron

Good luck with the op mate.

• Like 3