Why are Horticultural professionals SO devalued?

Trailoftears

2 minutes ago, Trailoftears said:

Its nice to see the Employers union of 'the lazy fekkers' should all be happy to work for a bowl of rice plus a new pair of boots once a year are alive and well on the forum 

I don’t work for charities any more.

This is not a coincidence.

I'm not having a go at ANY charities in fairness-AND I note with interest I've had a few FIERCE responses from (presumably private employers),Who are ENGRAGED at the idea of paying their staff decent money for a bloody hard job-but they would be angry of course-cheap labour is their lifeblood.... 

2 minutes ago, Trailoftears said:

I'm not having a go at ANY charities in fairness-AND I note with interest I've had a few FIERCE responses from (presumably private employers),Who are ENGRAGED at the idea of paying their staff decent money for a bloody hard job-but they would be angry of course-cheap labour is their lifeblood.... 

good staff. Whether that be PAYE or freelance will always earn good money, employers (most) know when they are on a good thing and pay to keep those people. I can freelance in for decent money in the Midlands because my ‘boss’ knows if it can be sorted I’ll sort it, if not I’ll diagnose the problem and sort when parts are available. If he’s paying me £350/day I bet my van he’s charging me out at £500+\day.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Trailoftears said:

Too many people are available to willingly work for a pittance.  They are the issue here, not employers.

Surely employers pay the amount of money necessary to fill their vacancies. 

Edited by Bolt
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

good staff. Whether that be PAYE or freelance will always earn good money, employers (most) know when they are on a good thing and pay to keep those people. I can freelance in for decent money in the Midlands because my ‘boss’ knows if it can be sorted I’ll sort it, if not I’ll diagnose the problem and sort when parts are available. If he’s paying me £350/day I bet my van he’s charging me out at £500+\day.

I hear what your saying,and like myself you are doing ok,but the point I was trying to make is the youngsters of today will not get to the (relatively) heights we have got to...

21 minutes ago, Bolt said:

I don’t think you can compare the NT to ‘normal’ employers by any stretch of the imagination.

Charities are crap payers, because their staff will work for below normal wages.

This applies to their catering staff, cleaning staff, office staff, shop staff, maintenance staff.

It has always been thus.  It is nothing new, the current cohort are in no way disadvantaged over previous generations.

• Like 1

The thing is everyone thinks they can do this job but in reality watching a video YouTube  doesn’t make you an expert, There are lot easier ways to make a living,As long as people will work for the money  nothing will change, We had a customer suggest today could we not use a bow and arrow to bring down a snagged branch rather than pay us to climb the tree. 

14 minutes ago, Trailoftears said:

I hear what your saying,and like myself you are doing ok,but the point I was trying to make is the youngsters of today will not get to the (relatively) heights we have got to...

This simply isn’t correct, good subbies around here are making good money, many of them young lads, they are prepared to travel an hour each way, if not more. There are lads on here who travel all over the country and earn decent money, they get paid for their skills. If you/they want to earn good hard cash they may have to put the leg work in.

• Like 1