Chain saw course [CS30??]

john87

3 hours ago, Haironyourchest said:

The first day of the course is all the industrial legal stuff, PUWER, environmental, H&S reports, how to do risk assessments etc.

You can download the current NTPC course material for your course (don't know where but should be easy enough to find). You can't really fail the theory part, it's like the Safe Pass test, they hold your hand through it.

The felling part can be challenging though. Pie cut, danish cut, bore cut etc, cuts that most people don't know or use. You have to be able to remember them for the assessment and execute them well. I'd been messing around with saws for years before but never learned these cuts, it wasn't super hard but the muscle memory wasn't there. Moderately challenging.

Situational awareness is taught. Always look around for co-workers standing too close, look up for widowmakers, snap the chain break when repositioning, etc. All good practice and worth taking on board.

You won't have to strip a saw in the field (more likely a forestry plantation). Maybe change a chain.

Those courses are damn expensive, and have the potential to be quite enjoyable. You should do the course, just for kicks, and write up a report here for our edification.

Thank you ever so much!!!! That is SOOO helpful!!!

If i do it, you can be sure i will do a write up. Give you all a good laugh if nothing else!!

I did a certificate in "The duty to manage asbestos" back in March. That was interesting! Came top of the class with a perfect score in the exam too. [thanks to preparing]

Now i know what to expect i can have a good swot up. Thank you LOADS for that..

john..

• Like 1

11 hours ago, john87 said:

Thank you ever so much!!!! That is SOOO helpful!!!

If i do it, you can be sure i will do a write up. Give you all a good laugh if nothing else!!

I did a certificate in "The duty to manage asbestos" back in March. That was interesting! Came top of the class with a perfect score in the exam too. [thanks to preparing]

Now i know what to expect i can have a good swot up. Thank you LOADS for that..

john..

No problem. If it's just the Maintenance & Crosscutting ticket you're doing, then there won't be any felling, which I would consider sad, as that's the fun part.

The legal stuff will be covered, workshop saw maintenance, saw safety stuff, then a couple of afternoons of "Crosscutting". This will be almost certainly in a conifer stand somewhere. The instructor will fell trees and you will process the trees to forestry log product standards. You will be taught about work positioning, compression/tension, how to free a stuck saw, etc and so forth.

The felling ticket (C31)? is a continuation from this. You fell the trees and process them. Most of the course time will be processing, as that's the nature of production felling, and that's where most of the accidents happen.  

• Like 1

Yer man hedgemong, or his alter-alias, could learn a lot from this thread. The OP is subtle enough to be believable, but with just an occasional descent into the outlandish. This character has the potential for a much longer run.

The Hedgemong shtick isnt particularly engrossing, but I'm genuinely curious as to who created this one.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Haironyourchest said:

No problem. If it's just the Maintenance & Crosscutting ticket you're doing, then there won't be any felling, which I would consider sad, as that's the fun part.

The legal stuff will be covered, workshop saw maintenance, saw safety stuff, then a couple of afternoons of "Crosscutting". This will be almost certainly in a conifer stand somewhere. The instructor will fell trees and you will process the trees to forestry log product standards. You will be taught about work positioning, compression/tension, how to free a stuck saw, etc and so forth.

The felling ticket (C31)? is a continuation from this. You fell the trees and process them. Most of the course time will be processing, as that's the nature of production felling, and that's where most of the accidents happen.  

Thanks again!! Not sure which one i would be doing, depends how deep the pockets are of them that are supposedly paying. I would like to do the felling one too though, bound to be very interesting, so i would like that one a lot.

I read on here somewhere that they want you to use a saw with a maximum bar length of 15" I was planning on using my 14" saw, so i guess that would be ok??

john..

29 minutes ago, peds said:

Yer man hedgemong, or his alter-alias, could learn a lot from this thread. The OP is subtle enough to be believable, but with just an occasional descent into the outlandish. This character has the potential for a much longer run.

The Hedgemong shtick isnt particularly engrossing, but I'm genuinely curious as to who created this one.

Eh, me??

john..

2 hours ago, peds said:

John is legit.

• Like 2