Square stove in corner - how close to solid plastered wall without risking blowing?

On 01/08/2023 at 10:49, carbs for arbs said:

Just thinking about other options...  Aside from the heatshields you can get with some stoves, and the Vitcas type plaster you can apply to the walls instead of gypsum (as described above), is there any type of THIN fireboard which you can add to the plastered wall WITHOUT an airgap?  Something I could then paint in to be the same colour as the rest of the room and therefore barely noticeable?  If so, what's the thinnest available and does anyone have any info or links please?  The only thing of this ilk I'm aware of requires an airgap between it and the wall, but hoping there's other options...  

Many thanks

Our recent install (about 5 years ago) has some sort of fireboard directly applied to a brick wall behind a log burner, no air gap. Board is about 10mm thick. All signed off by building control. Not a plastered wall, but...?

Thanks for all the additional replies, much appreciated.  

I think once we've decided on our stove (new thread coming up to help with that), I'll speak to the manufacturers about distances to non-combustibles, risk of plaster cracking, minimum distances for good airflow, etc.  And I'll discuss it with the installer as well.  

I'm hoping we won't have to do anything.  But if we do I guess my favoured option would be to fix some thin fire rated board to the walls around the stove, and paint them in the same colour as the walls to help disguise them.  If that's not sufficient, then perhaps remove the plaster in the necessary areas, get the walls back to brick/block, and then replaster with Vitcas type stuff *OR* use the thin fire rated board, fixed directly to the brick/block.  

Thanks again

• Like 1