Square stove in corner - how close to solid plastered wall without risking blowing?

Thank you both :)  

11 minutes ago, Steven P said:

Could also look at a heat resistant plaster rather than the stuff from the DIY superstores, give them a call and see

I will take another look.  One installer said that they do not use it and would not recommend because it doesn't work and they have found it to fail just as much as standard plaster.  So I'd ruled it out based on that.  

5 minutes ago, topchippyles said:

100mm should not be an issue plasterboard is a fire resistant barrier anyway. Normal 12.5 mm board is 30 minutes. 

Just to be clear in case you missed it, this is a plastered brick or block wall, not plasterboard.  Unless you were just adding the info about plasterboard, in which case ignore me!  

Just now, carbs for arbs said:

I will take another look.  One installer said that they do not use it and would not recommend because it doesn't work and they have found it to fail just as much as standard plaster.  So I'd ruled it out based on that.

Not sure, I have bricks round my stove, the nearest normal plaster is just above it on the lintel and 10 year later is still gong strong. Perhaps the installer doesn't have the years of experience a plasterer would have to plaster heat resistant plaster>? Not sure, however the lady on the phone at Victas was able to answer a problem I had straight away, give them a call for advice maybe

• Thanks 1

Just thinking about other options...  Aside from the heatshields you can get with some stoves, and the Vitcas type plaster you can apply to the walls instead of gypsum (as described above), is there any type of THIN fireboard which you can add to the plastered wall WITHOUT an airgap?  Something I could then paint in to be the same colour as the rest of the room and therefore barely noticeable?  If so, what's the thinnest available and does anyone have any info or links please?  The only thing of this ilk I'm aware of requires an airgap between it and the wall, but hoping there's other options...  

Many thanks

This is our install.  Been that that since the house was built, 2010.

It was all installed when we bought the house.  There is soap stone (I think that’s what it’s called on top of the oven) I think there is a soap stone as well to the left in the picture.

Sorry it is difficult to see as it is painted the same as the walls.

This thing burn hot and never had a problem.

We are in Norway BTW, so maybe different regulations regarding distances and install.

IMG_7383.thumb.jpeg.bb799c1c8348a1296d0e12b52663d997.jpeg

IMG_7384.jpeg

• Thanks 1

On 31/07/2023 at 17:54, carbs for arbs said:

Thank you both :)  

Just to be clear in case you missed it, this is a plastered brick or block wall, not plasterboard.  Unless you were just adding the info about plasterboard, in which case ignore me!  

100mm should be fine for the plaster. For peace of mind though you could render the wall behind the stove with a sand/cement based mix instead, it's more heat resistant and generally much tougher than gypsum plaster.

Ours is only about 75mm from the back of the fireplace. I rendered it as it's also a nice texture and easier to do than plastering in a small space.

• Thanks 1

Best bet is to talk to the manufacturers of the stove you have in mind.    Some models in the better brands at the higher end of the price scale have convector panels integrated into them to reduce MCC to the sides and rear,   Morso S11-42 , Charnwood Skye and ARC models for example. 

Some installers are happy to fit cement board to the walls of the room instead. 

Dont forget the plasterboard is rated as combustible.

A

• Thanks 1

On 01/08/2023 at 11:28, Rich Rule said:

This is our install.  Been that that since the house was built, 2010.

It was all installed when we bought the house.  There is soap stone (I think that’s what it’s called on top of the oven) I think there is a soap stone as well to the left in the picture.

Sorry it is difficult to see as it is painted the same as the walls.

This thing burn hot and never had a problem.

We are in Norway BTW, so maybe different regulations regarding distances and install.

IMG_7383.thumb.jpeg.bb799c1c8348a1296d0e12b52663d997.jpeg

IMG_7384.jpeg

That install neat as it is would not be allowed under UK building regs.

A

23 minutes ago, Alycidon said:

That install neat as it is would not be allowed under UK building regs.

A

Strange that, I don’t doubt it.

Maybe they know what they are doing better here in Norway as nearly every house comes with a stove as standard.  Some look far dodgier than that.

same as we burn loads of pine and spruce as well as the other usually suspects.  By law the flu is clean every two years and barely any soot comes out, very few chimney fires also.

yet in the UK that combination of logs seems to set people’s alarms bells ringing.

2 hours ago, Rich Rule said:

same as we burn loads of pine and spruce as well as the other usually suspects.  By law the flu is clean every two years and barely any soot comes out, very few chimney fires also.

Suspect though that you mostly have a fire rather than slumbering logs which is less sooty - a few good hot fires helps a lot keep the soot down I find

• Like 1

I pretty much close the vents once I have a good bed of embers.  Chuck a log or three on and adjust accordingly.  The stove is very efficient and glass is clean 90% or the time…

But, I don’t fully load the oven just before bed and leave it slumbering.

I guess the insulation keeps the house warm over night.  

• Like 1