What's it worth?

PatrickFirwood

So we've been getting a lot of firewood enquiries this year, and we do have spare logs laying around, so I'm considering selling some for a bit of pocket money and to clear some space.

I have customers that are happy to take it semi processed, meaning cut in to manageable sized rings that just need splitting, I'm not sure I can be bothered with splitting at the moment as it's so time consuming. 

My question is how much is a load of semi processed hardwood worth? I have Mitsubishi l200 tipper that I would deliver it in. I've attached a photo so you can get an idea of capacity. 

280979598_531541408360103_8170046580489669161_n (2).jpg

I guess not more than £50 a load, though you've got to decide if you're doing it to get rid of the logs (so you'd be loading them anyway) or to make money. Time taken cutting, loading, delivering is going to mean it's not that lucrative.

Can you get people to collect it? I've got a pile of rings on my hardstanding and people keep stopping and asking if I'm getting rid. If you cut it up small enough to fit in a car then people will take it away.

13 hours ago, PatrickFirwood said:

I have customers that are happy to take it semi processed, meaning cut in to manageable sized rings that just need splitting, I'm not sure I can be bothered with splitting at the moment as it's so time consuming. 

If you've already got the logs clogged up then perhaps consider paying someone £10 an hour to run a log splitter for a few days. You'll soon turn £30 a cube into £150 a cube. If its already clogged up then a grafter will managed a good 5-10 cubes a day bagged. Easy money for you.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, pleasant said:

£10 an hour for a grafter???

Minimum wage is £10.42 an hour...and that's for the lowest of the low...not a grafter who knows how to use machinery.

Going to stereotype - he is Scottish, and 'careful' with his cash....(says the man from outside Glasgow)

• Haha 3

I'd also have a look around the tip sites, spend a little time making contacts with a few of them on the grounds of "We are doing a job down the road tomorrow, can drop you a load off for -some cash- (leave it by the wheelie bins and I'll drop and go)", would widen the 5 mile radius from your yard, drop the logs local to the job - easier on fuel to get home again - get a few regulars, 1 or 2 loads a year each, you know they are OK, they know they get wood. Personally to me a few ££ for a tipper of logs is worth it - saves me making many trips to the tip I can access.