Roughly what is your % big tree VS small tree/hedges

Excels1or

52 minutes ago, treevolution said:

50/50.

If it wasn't for the trimming jobs at present I would be lost.

I was going to give up trimming years back due to the damage it did to my body but since the electric gear came out I happily trim all day.

can you be more specific about this - aches and sprains from using heavy petrol strimmers?

Thanks,

About 50/50. Fluctuates depending on the time of year. I like the predictability of trimming jobs, you can virtually predict to within 10-15 mins how long they are going to take, making it easy to plan days.

When i first started, the fella i worked for used to say if we got a small cherry take down in a front garden,  'these are the jobs you want, 8 of these a day would do me'. Obviously,  he was looking at them as the most profitable.  Not what i wanted at the time, but now, i agree with him. Maybe its a fault in my pricing, but the smaller jobs seem to offer the best profit. 

Do people add on to the price for bigger jobs for things they might've missed?. I tend not to

4 hours ago, Muddy42 said:

can you be more specific about this - aches and sprains from using heavy petrol strimmers?

Thanks,

Mild arthritis in both shoulders.

Tennis elbow

And just feeling ill from the petrol fumes.

I'm amazed that people still use them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Con said:

About 50/50. Fluctuates depending on the time of year. I like the predictability of trimming jobs, you can virtually predict to within 10-15 mins how long they are going to take, making it easy to plan days.

When i first started, the fella i worked for used to say if we got a small cherry take down in a front garden,  'these are the jobs you want, 8 of these a day would do me'. Obviously,  he was looking at them as the most profitable.  Not what i wanted at the time, but now, i agree with him. Maybe its a fault in my pricing, but the smaller jobs seem to offer the best profit. 

Do people add on to the price for bigger jobs for things they might've missed?. I tend not to

Couldn't agree more. 3-4 small jobs in a day is usually more profitable for us than 1 large job, and far less strenuous 

• Like 2

99-1 for me now.

I can’t get unskilled labour but I can get skilled.  Climbers can’t be arsed cutting hedges and clearing up and unless I can do it with a flail or tree shear I don’t bother.  Higher wages for skilled guys doesn’t cover garden jobs unless I’ve got a spare afternoon and the weeks covered the wages but I’d rather send the guys home and there hard works not punished doing a job they don’t want to do and as I get older I’m done with raking and stuffing arisings into dumpy bags.  

• Like 6