What's the best options for cutting your own logs?

Dougie Stirling

I have a homelite  petrol saw that I use if I'm out in a field somewhere. But when I'm home cutting logs I use a Makita battery saw. It's great. I have 4 5ah batteries and 2 3ah batteries. Double charger is a must. In-between letting batteries charge I do a bit of chopping and stacking. With the occasional chain sharpen.

I already had the batteries with work tools so thought it was the cheapest solution for me. There's possibly better battery saws about than Makita. But it does the job for me. 

• Like 2

I have a similar BOSCH chainsaw for home use (about 3.5 to 4 cube a year) and in 10 years all it has needed a new switch.  Lots of parts are available for it and once apart you will find it is pretty simple inside.  I see no reason to go for a petrol saw (or battery) if you have access to mains power although I have an old petrol saw to get going at some point I just have never got round to it (needs a carb rebuild I think).  Electric is not fussy about being put away for weeks at a time and needs no maintenance beyond the chain sharpening.  Keep thinking it would be nice to have something independent of the mains but it is an expensive nice to have option compared to a mains saw.

I too started with a roughneck maul, hatchet and "wood grenade".  Still got them but rarely if every get them out anymore as they are crap quality.  Use the hatchet a bit but only as I never bought another.  Now use an x27 but suspect a 25 might be better as you are shorter than I (~5' 11")  I prefer the length as it hit the ground before it hits me if anything goes wrong.  x25 and x27 have the same head, just different shaft length. (Don't know about the other sizes but might be the same.)

Sometimes I use a wedge for the nasty tough stuff but it takes a long time and now more often than not I'll just use the saw to cut it up.  Still when I'm feeling like it hitting a wedge with a big hammer is good for taking out frustration!

• Like 2

At home I use a Black & Decker mains powered 1980s chainsaw as it is quiet and is unlikely to piss anybody off. 

It does the job without any issues.

If I need to do any cutting elsewhere for others, the ported 346 is generally the favourite for most other work.

Not sure my neighbours would put up with hours of using a petrol saw and the noise they make.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, spudulike said:

At home I use a Black & Decker mains powered 1980s chainsaw as it is quiet and is unlikely to piss anybody off.

Bet is got a dynamically balanced and advanced commutator though   🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, spudulike said:

Not sure my neighbours would put up with hours of using a petrol saw and the noise they make.

.. feck em... seriously though, my neighbour gets a ton of logs thrown over her wall in September, makes up for a lot of my idiosyncrasies (and she is best buddies with the next neighbour)