What's the best options for cutting your own logs?

Dougie Stirling

On 02/07/2023 at 22:38, Will C said:

I’ve no idea what chain comes on a Bosch saw but from experience I think the Oregon chains don’t last as long between sharpening as a Stihl or husky chain. Some may say it’s just my imagination but when we tried different chains I was definitely sharpening and changing the Oregon ones more often. Note down the chain sizes and try a different make next time you need a chain. @Rob D at Chainsawbars.co.uk would be a good place to start on line or your local Stihl/husky dealer. 

also try splitting your wood green a lot of timber splits easier green and it will dry quicker as it has a bigger surface area once split.

With regards which chain works the best - the only way to find out is above - try and few chains and then decide which chain works best for YOU as that then becomes the best chain. We should prob add things like the Bosch saws into the selector really.. will have a look at that.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, neiln said:

A barstard file is better for sharpening a splitting axe. 

End result though you need a sharp blade whatever you do (and a lesson for The Boy this week - he had stick in stiches the other week - cut from a tree he was playing in - this week, my similar cut from a sharp chisel, no stiches - because the clean cut heals far better - sharp is always better!)

• Thanks 1

I'll add to the X27 recommendations. Very easy to swing for hours. I also have a Fiskars Isocore 8lb maul (described confusingly as a builders axe) which is excellent for large section logs. If that doesn't do the trick, an Estwing 'sure split' wedge with 14lb sledgehammer (eye protection worn) or my trusty Husky 550xp2 if the log is too knotted. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/07/2023 at 14:00, Sviatoslav Tulin said:

Few more secrets my standard setup for splitting,as you can see I use no mauls  as it not efficient in my experience.I do have 15 ton log splitter not use it too slow and eating petrol in good amounts. We speak about domestic production ,commercial mashines it’s different level and price .

C63D31B5-6ECB-448E-9519-C71037CA7750.jpeg

Thanks, great to see the set-up as my electric Bosch AKE 35 has just packed in, I'm hoping to open it up and see if I can fix it (I've an older spare one for parts). If not I'll be shelling out a fair bit for another. I'd like to get a petrol but fear it'll be too noisy for the neighbours the amount I use it.