FR Jones

benedmonds

1 minute ago, Duncan. said:

Thanks. I did but annoyingly I cancelled that credit card last month so doubt they will help. Will find out though.

I would think that's irrelevant and you'd still legally be due refund. Debit cards also have some protection.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, richyrich said:

I would think that's irrelevant and you'd still legally be due refund. Debit cards also have some protection.

Unlike credit card purchases, debit card purchases are not covered by section 75 of the consumer credit act (as debit cards are not CREDIT cards) You may have some legal redress under the voluntary chargeback scheme however. But unlikely being a voluntary scheme with very limited liability.

• Like 1

Difficult to tell if they have gone but thier accounts for 2021 show a loss of £771K, and debts of £2.5Mill

£1.75Mill they owe to themselves *FR Jones and Son (Holdings) Limited, who also posted a loss of £82K.

Their accounts for year ending Dec 2022 are due until Sept 2023.

They could have gone 'poof' which is why ChainsawBars is advertising like a cat on a hot tin roof ... ?

They could be just 'restructuring'.

They may rise from the ashes as 'JR and E Jones Limited' ?

Edited by Mik the Miller

Last set of accounts for them made up to and including 31st December 2021 show a LOSS of £711,214.00 for the year. Previous year was another loss of £56,039.00.

You sell stuff (particularly Stihl) for little more than just above cost to under cut other long standing reputable businesses to put them out of business, then you need to sell a LOT of kit.......otherwise you will go out of business yourself.

Jones were selling Stihl stuff cheaper than I could buy it from Stihl.....simply because they would buy a pallet at a time and stack them high and sell them cheap. Even though Stihl said discounts were frowned upon and to only collect in person.....assembled and demonstrated. Yet they turned a blind eye in return for volume sales.

(I'm not bitter..much. However, I'm still trading.)

• Like 9

27 minutes ago, pleasant said:

You don't phone the retailer in this instance IF they are insolvent. You contact your credit card provider and start a claim through section 75 protection.

Phone the credit card company how can you phone the retailer if they have gone bust.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, topchippyles said:

Phone the credit card company how can you phone the retailer if they have gone bust.

Quite obviously you can't. But my reply was in response to the comment before suggesting you should.....if you read ahead you will see.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, pleasant said:

Last set of accounts for them made up to and including 31st December 2021 show a LOSS of £711,214.00 for the year. Previous year was another loss of £56,039.00.

You sell stuff (particularly Stihl) for little more than just above cost to under cut other long standing reputable businesses to put them out of business, then you need to sell a LOT of kit.......otherwise you will go out of business yourself.

Jones were selling Stihl stuff cheaper than I could buy it from Stihl.....simply because they would buy a pallet at a time and stack them high and sell them cheap. Even though Stihl said discounts were frowned upon and to only collect in person.....assembled and demonstrated. Yet they turned a blind eye in return for volume sales.

(I'm not bitter..much. However, I'm still trading.)

Most tradespeople expect at least 20% off list price with Stihl and Husqvarna. The online sales were allowed because in the modern world it was ridiculous -also it allowed fair competition in the market- rather than fixing prices. Stihl were losing out to Husqvarna, etc. There are some great Japanese machines that weren't sold under bullshit rules.