Hydraulic driven log processor.

trigger_andy

Have you got any spool valve fittings at the rear? Show us a pic may help!

but Yes it can be done from the 3rd service but oil flow may be slow. You may be bettor off having a port put in via a power beyond plate by the tractors factory spool block. I’m not familiar with the Massey setup but most hydraulic shops that deal with agri stuff will know what you mean by “power beyond plate” 

Its a plate that sits between the feed from the hydraulic pump and and controls you already have. By using one you will get full oil flow to the splitter but this could compromise the loader speed etc if trying to use it  at the same time as the splitter 

Does you fergy have a PTO shaft and three point linkage or is it the typical backhoe version ?.

If it does have a PTO I would personally use a splitter with a self contained PTO pump, keeps everything stock and you should be able to run a splitter on without revving too much and treating a 40-50 year old beasty gently.

I did use a normal splitter on a decrepit Leyland years back and had to rev the guts out of it to get the speed and pressure necessary.

13 minutes ago, GarethM said:

Does you fergy have a PTO shaft and three point linkage or is it the typical backhoe version ?.

If it does have a PTO I would personally use a splitter with a self contained PTO pump, keeps everything stock and you should be able to run a splitter on without revving too much and treating a 40-50 year old beasty gently.

I did use a normal splitter on a decrepit Leyland years back and had to rev the guts out of it to get the speed and pressure necessary.

50b is just a loader, some had back hoe, some had a big compressor on the back some just a weight. But no 3 point or pto as a rule

Edited by Will C
  • Like 2

Kinda why I asked, I've seen a few versions and owned a 60s version which had a PTO, static weight and a removable backhoe that's long since gone to the scrap heap in the sky.

If it has a loader already fitted it should be open centre hydraulics, simple to add a valve with a diverter and just have the return after the diverter so it still flows through the loader valve block.

Just a case of mounting a couple of disconnects and plumbing things without it looking like a rat's nest.

3 hours ago, Will C said:

You may be bettor off having a port put in via a power beyond plate by the tractors factory spool block. I’m not familiar with the Massey setup but most hydraulic shops that deal with agri stuff will know what you mean by “power beyond plate” 

Its a plate that sits between the feed from the hydraulic pump and and controls you already have.

Is this the same as a high pressure carry over, to enable two spool blocks in series?

@Deafhead had a 50B with back hoe about 50 years ago. I thought they were all torque converter, so there is no PTO shaft drive and although the back axle is the same casing as an agricultural machine  there is no PTO shaft through the gearbox and only a blanking plate at the back.

How many litres/min flow off the pump and what maximum pressure? I would guess it is enough to run a hydraulic PTO at reasonable engine revs. @Gray git posted some stuff about hydraulic PTO for a winch years ago and possible @LGP Eddie did also.

• Thanks 1

yes, different tractors have slightly different ones, David brown use them before the spool block to control the 3 point linkage, if you work the external spool powered by it the linkage won’t work while the external spool is in use. On Fords you can switch between one or the other but I think it depends how it’s been plumbed, the above is only my experience and poss not completely correct! I’ve not much experience with fergys tho. 

@trigger_andy the other option you could have is to add a extra pump to the crank pulley, if you already have one you may be able to swop it out for a modern multi stage pump to increase the flow and/or pressure. If you haven’t got one you will need a extra tank, same set up as a PTO pump on a splitter.

4 hours ago, openspaceman said:

Is this the same as a high pressure carry over, to enable two spool blocks in series?

Edited by Will C

1 hour ago, Will C said:

yes, different tractors have slightly different ones, David brown use them before the spool block to control the 3 point linkage, if you work the external spool powered by it the linkage won’t work while the external spool is in use. On Fords you can switch between one or the other but I think it depends how it’s been plumbed, the above is only my experience and poss not completely correct! I’ve not much experience with fergys tho.

Okay I get you now, this is what I know as a linkage isolator valve.

Industrial machines are a bit different as the pump is driven straight off the nose of the crank so all the pump power is available.  i think the pump on my counties puts out about 13hp so adequate for a processor if you get the right motor to take the flow and get 540rpm at a reasonable engine speed.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Will C said:

Have you got any spool valve fittings at the rear? Show us a pic may help!

but Yes it can be done from the 3rd service but oil flow may be slow. You may be bettor off having a port put in via a power beyond plate by the tractors factory spool block. I’m not familiar with the Massey setup but most hydraulic shops that deal with agri stuff will know what you mean by “power beyond plate” 

Its a plate that sits between the feed from the hydraulic pump and and controls you already have. By using one you will get full oil flow to the splitter but this could compromise the loader speed etc if trying to use it  at the same time as the splitter 

Nothing at the rear. It has an open return at that loader controls though. 

I’ll look into the “power beyond plate”, cheers.

I wonder if something like this would work?

WWW.FLOWFITONLINE.COM

Group 2, Aluminium Hydraulic PTO Gearbox and Pump Assembly, 10cc, 16 L/Min, 9.78 kW Output from our range of Agricultural...

23 hours ago, GarethM said:

No PTO, hence why I said “no PTO” 😁