Shift in Stump Grinding Services Utilisation: Landscapers vs. Tree Surgeons

Stefan Palokangas

9 minutes ago, Conor Wright said:

The majority of my work is rural (read easy access) so it's more cost effective to get a local digger operator to rip out the stumps. They usually have a dump trailer to bring in fresh soil and remove the waste, leaving me with a handy bit of raking and seeding/replanting etc. 

The odd grinding job I do get I either use my own little dosko grinder or hire a bigger tracked grinder in and operate it myself.

I imagine it's tough going, keeping yourself fully booked just stump grinding. With a downturn on the way (don't argue, it's happening!) A bit of diversification might be necessary. 

As an aside, I've been asked to leave a couple of high stumps recently as people want to have them carved. 

It may be a combination of factors, cost, more tree companies providing full services incl grinding and the uptick in private tree owners getting carvings or utilising standing stumps as features that is causing a slowdown in work.

Regarding the increase in landscapers using your services, it may be an insurance thing. 

The high stump thing always makes me laugh.

Client ”Could you make a chair out of it?”

Me: “Absolutely not”

Client ”ok leave it high, we’ll make a feature out of it”

Me: “no problem, but I guarantee you sooner or later you’ll regret it and want it cut lower”

After the job is finished the wife comes out, looks at the metre high stump “cut it as low as you can”

“No problem”

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Far more stump grinders available now than 20 years ago. It used to be mainly large, wheeled ungainly things, know lots of cheapish pedestrian ones available and the intro of small tracked grinders as opened up the market. It’s been said they’re freely available to hire where you just stick the hire rate on top of the price - no need to have one yourself to pay off and maintain. If it’s offered as an option for every tree job it’s not long before the grinders paid for. No disrespect but it’s not exactly difficult if your practical with common sense AND done the 1 days training?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

After the job is finished the wife comes out, looks at the metre high stump “cut it as low as you can”

“No problem”

I have done this sketch just as putting the back on the trailer to go..

"Did my husband say to leave it like that? Well he's wrong, could you cut it down please"

• Like 1

I’m fairly young in years and in this game, but I would hazard a shot at the reason being behind improved technology available, good finance packages on ever improved machinery and people wanting to offer a full service. 

Take the Bandit ZT for instance. When it came out, they were selling them like hot cakes. Global couldn’t get them into the country quick enough. 
How many tree companies are there now who don’t have a capable grinder in their armoury? Even the pedestrian ones are miles better than they used to be. They drive themselves, pivot etc

I personally cannot understand how companies like Stumpbusters can even still exist. Hats off to anyone who can make a living just out of stumps. Good money, albeit a little boring…

(until you step backwards into your own grinder…)

I was doing all my own stumps, doing them for another contractor who didn’t have time and then various old stumps for domestic clients etc. I found most landscapers would rather give the tree removal job away not just the stump. 

• Like 1

I generally do smaller domestic work and I would say only one in five want a stump removed. Usually because fence posts are going in or some building work. Most people don't want the expense or don't care and put a plant pot on it. To reply to the initial post, could it be that when tree surgeons were really busy and were stacked out with creamy work the grind was just a pain. It was easier to sub it out and get to the next job. Now things are slowing down they aren't able to be so fussy and take the job on.

Personally I don't mind stump grinding, it makes a change and I feel I've finished the removal properly once it is raked and seeded. As previously mentioned. the conversations with clients regarding stumps usually goes 'would you like me to price for removing the stump'

'no, if it's extra can you leave it high so we can make a bee hotel/bird table/carving'

By the time you have done the job they have had second thoughts and want it taken down!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, doobin said:

As stated, it’s a really easy to sell add-on service that costs you very little in extra mobilisation time. No brainer. 

The only other thing worth mentioning is interest rates being so low at the time. You could own a grinder on finance and the first add-on job per month paid the finance per month. Anything else is gravy. 

im surprised landscaper enquiries are on the up. Most just make a giant mess digging it out with the hired in mini digger. 

It's mostly the stumps up against walls where they haven't been able to use the digger.