Safety/serial number tags on ropes

Al Duffill

Hey all, 

Do unspliced climbing ropes have to be marked up with a CE/ID tag at one end or is it down to me to mark up for ID purposes given that the rope is manufactured to the said safety limits and has no splice? 
I feel a bit daft asking as I’ve been climbing for 20+ years, maybe the grey matter is letting me down!😆

Good question, as far as I understand (told on a course) the requirement is that you know the details (manufacturer etc ) so the age and provenance are known, and the rope can be identified.

At it's most basic that can mean the details are on paper, and if you only have one blue rope then  put blue 25m climbing rope on your inspection sheet, not strictly necessary to have a label on the rope at all.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Dan Maynard said:

Good question, as far as I understand (told on a course) the requirement is that you know the details (manufacturer etc ) so the age and provenance are known, and the rope can be identified.

At it's most basic that can mean the details are on paper, and if you only have one blue rope then  put blue 25m climbing rope on your inspection sheet, not strictly necessary to have a label on the rope at all.

Ok, I don’t have any paper work with it ( apart from a receipt) but I know the manufacturer, type of rope but no idea when it was first manufactured because there’s no evidence for me, I feel a little unhappy about this, I thought all PPE had to be marked up? 

So you've bought by the metre? If so it's come off a drum, and I guess the details were on the drum so in theory they should have been transferred to you when it was cut.

I bought a couple of lengths like this last year for lanyard/short line use, not sure I took close note of date of manufacture but they've been LOLER'd with recorded date put to use so guess that's been taken as ok.

I think really it's all about condition, rope will get worn before age expiry if you're using it regularly.

6 minutes ago, gand said:

Did they not give you the batch/serial number from the reel it came from? If so, that should be enough for loler purposes paired with date of first use

I’ve just checked the packing slip, yes there’s an item number and all the manufacturing/certification is in the product spec on the web page, of course.

I guess I’m so used to seeing tags on spliced ropes, hence the question. 

Sorted, thank you all 👍

• Like 1