Electrical Industrilisation of the North and East of Scotland

htb

WE NEED YOUR HELP

Scottish and Southern Electricity Networks SSEN are planning a massive expansion of the overhead pylon and substation network up here, they do not care about ruining the enviroment and communities in the quest for profit. The pylons are going to be 60m tall carrying 400kV. Substation are to be in Caithness, near Beauly, New Deer and Peterhead, the one near us is in addition to three existing large ones nearby is to be an extra 200 acres. SSEN are going for the cheapest option rather than burying the cable or goin subsea. Once it gets to Peterhead it is taking the power via two subsea cables to England.

In addition to this they are planning another 400kv line from Kintore via Tealing and then to Fife and onwards.

This is a massive industrilisation of the reas and is the thin end of the wedge, as once the pylons are in the wind farms will follow onshore and offshore, look at the crown estate leases.

SSEN have been asked to show the figures to justify the expansion and they refuse to release them

Below is a leaflet we have prepared, share as you wish, for our area.

Can everyone comment on the proposals and just say NO to SSEN, write to MP's MSP

Thanks in advance.

May be an image of map and text

#Justsayno

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I don’t think the electric companies would make this sort of investment if it wasn’t required. What makes you think it’s destined for England? Isn’t there a  national grid of power lines. The electric can run both ways along a cable? There were large areas of Scotland without power for several weeks after the gales and actually some English came up and helped to fix them. Didn’t hear any body complain then? Why does everything in Scotland have to be political and anti English or the blame the English for this and that🤔. I’ve just had a look in my meter cabinet and it doesn’t differentiate between English or Scottish or Welsh or even Norwegian and it pains me to say even French😳 as to where the electric was made. If it is made in Scotland then thanks very much, but it’s expensive😳. Perhaps it’s because of the transport costs?

13 minutes ago, dan blocker said:

I don’t think the electric companies would make this sort of investment if it wasn’t required. What makes you think it’s destined for England? Isn’t there a  national grid of power lines. The electric can run both ways along a cable? There were large areas of Scotland without power for several weeks after the gales and actually some English came up and helped to fix them. Didn’t hear any body complain then? Why does everything in Scotland have to be political and anti English or the blame the English for this and that🤔. I’ve just had a look in my meter cabinet and it doesn’t differentiate between English or Scottish or Welsh or even Norwegian and it pains me to say even French😳 as to where the electric was made. If it is made in Scotland then thanks very much, but it’s expensive😳. Perhaps it’s because of the transport costs?

What makes me say its destined for England and beyond is that according to the SNP, Scotland already has 100% capacity for wind generation for own use. I am trying to not be political, as it would not matter which party was in charge in UK or Scotland they would all be at it.

Have you seen the size of the scar and excavation needed to bury two 400kv three phase circuits ! Takes at least 50 m wide of total clearance etc ! Pylons have been around for years they might not please everyone but I’d rather see them than a 10-100km strip minimum of 50m wide total clearance of everything that takes years to recover ! 

That and the physical size of the actual conductor, which has to be larger than if in open air.

Plus you cannot be self sufficient in wind energy, you need a grid to support it and prevent blackouts.

Edited by GarethM
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Mike Hill said:

I think its very nice of your King Charles to bestow Scotland the gift of this new Electricity project.

Imagine the jobs it will create. 

Don't mention the ferry, don't mention the ferry.

To me it would make more sense to try and use more of the electricity up here than spends £millions/billions to send it down south, and keep burning fossil fuels here.

Turn it in to hydrogen, electrify the railways, install vehicle chargers, rip out oil boilers in favour of heat pumps, etc etc

The English v Scottish ; Highlands v Lowlands ; North v South thing, the comparison might be if you lived in the Cotswolds and they were proposing destroying your local beauty to build a powerline to export electricity to France.

Edited by scbk

I was working for a couple recently, they live in a lovely wee crofters cottage, surrounded by fields and beautiful countryside.

The proposal is to build a 50 (!!) acre sub station next door :dong:

• Sad 1