Best advertising methods for a new company

biggimmer

Hi all,

as the title says really. I'm looking to start up a small tree service with a friend. The trouble is getting going! I was wondering if I could get some advise on what methods of advertising have worked well for you. I'm currently trying a couple of local papers but no responses yet...

Many thanks

• Like 1

For us newspapers, yell.com, Facebook etc have all been a huge waste of time and money. Google ads is the only thing that's worked for us, but it needs a lot of money outlayed to begin with to get any return. @Clutchy is the guy to speak to, as its his advice we took in the first place and its paid off many times over.  On a seperate note, flyers have worked well for us, although it doesn't work for everyone.  We found for every 1000 we put out, we'd get around 3 or 4 quotes back. Word of mouth is super important, we've done a job on a street, then been passed around the houses doing jobs for other folk on the street. Be punctual, tidy and polite and you'll get a good name for yourself. Best of luck mate 

• Like 4

Many thanks for the reply. I appreciate the advise as you may have saved me a chunk of wedge! I know a fella who does website design, he knows all about that sort of stuff whereas I'm a bit of a tech numbskull....I will get onto the blower.

I've noticed the way word spreads from one good job. I removed a bunch of overgrown ash/sycamore that was on a garden boundary...and got two other jobs from doing that.

• Like 1

No worries mate! Google maps is underrated, get a business profile made up and get previous clients to leave you a 5 star review. Even if your website is initially low in the rankings, local people looking for a tree surgeon will see your ratings on google maps and likely click you. 

19 hours ago, biggimmer said:

Hi all,

as the title says really. I'm looking to start up a small tree service with a friend. The trouble is getting going! I was wondering if I could get some advise on what methods of advertising have worked well for you. I'm currently trying a couple of local papers but no responses yet...

Many thanks

Word of mouth is the best way, make sure you clear up well, that’s generally what is remembered by the customer. Give good advice even if that means talking yourself out of an unnecessary reduction. Might not seem like the best thing for your business at the time but it builds trust and generally will leave that customer only coming back to you. 

ps. I have done this and then the following week seen the caravan club smashing the shit out of the poor birch I told the lady didn’t need touching 🤦‍♂️🤣

• Haha 1

I set up on my own 6 months ago. Set up a google business page and had previous customers leave a review.  I have had loads of work from google ads. I think if you aim for 5% of turnover (or predicted turnover) being spent on advertisement you should be ok. It's a bit daunting spending £60-70 a week on google ads but the jobs that come from it far outweigh that cost. 

Facebook ads was a waste of time and money. 

I took everyones advice and steered clear of bark, yell, checkatrade etc etc. 

• Like 1

For any business, how would you find yourself? Where would you look.

For example, if I want a pint I would look to the town centre, if I want some roses for the garden, the local garden centre and so on.

So where are you going to be found? I guess this goes to your target customer, the latest social media isn't going to get to a retired couple, facebook might not reach the local council.

Branding is useful (any business), if you have a vehicle with your details on as it passes I only have 10 seconds to remember your details - so it needs to be clear - your name, and contacts for example, a website I would say is a must though doesn't have to be fancy - contact details and some nice photos - all your other advertising can link back to that, phone number and a contact form (some people prefer to fill in a form rather than talk on the phone). Try a google search "Tree surgeon" and your local area, your page needs to be somewhere visible.

As above, word of mouth will get quality contacts from past customers. Are there any particular leafy areas near you - that could be worth targeted advertising - leaflets, or just park the van up somewhere visible at school run time on a quiet day.

Newspapers.... not sure if I have read a newspaper this decade or not

Oh, contact details.... have a real word physical detail, a land line, an address or your area and not "passing caravaner, mobile phone number:  "