Zip lining logs question.

Mick Dempsey

4 hours ago, paddyvero said:

No. Steel crab, ideally kept captive on a loop sling. I just biy long lengths of webbing and tie tape knots. You need a  bit of spare sling from the girth hitch to the crab, or the piece can act like a brake on the rigging line. 

Any chance you could get a pic of one?

If I was speedlining and making a job out of it I would have a rigging plate off a pulley on a taught line.. below where it was anchored high in the tree I would have a second pulley with a second line attached to the rear of the rigging plate so the speed line can be pulled back to you and controlled speed in ascent to the DZ.

off the rigging plate, then have two three meter lengths of dead eye off the rigging plate  that can be used to balance or tie off whatever your cutting. 
straight out balls speedlining just slings and crabs but I’ve found the above handy easy and time saving in the right situations. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, MattyF said:

If I was speedlining and making a job out of it I would have a rigging plate off a pulley on a taught line.. below where it was anchored high in the tree I would have a second pulley with a second line attached to the rear of the rigging plate so the speed line can be pulled back to you and controlled speed in ascent to the DZ.

off the rigging plate, then have two three meter lengths of dead eye off the rigging plate  that can be used to balance or tie off whatever your cutting. 
straight out balls speedlining just slings and crabs but I’ve found the above handy easy and time saving in the right situations. 

Similar to this? 

Not sure when in the video it shows it, but a useful idea with having your rigging end of the line on a pulley with a prussik to allow for extra tension. Only good if your speedline is anchored in another (higher) tree but a clever idea non the less 

• Like 1

I used to use Matty’s method a lot. This videos a bit old now and not the best quality. Having a retriever was essential as it was a long walk for the ground crew to bring the slings back to me 

you do end up with a lot of ropes in the tree to faff about with which is the only drawback 

• Like 3