What do you think?

arbaholic

Same Transit as Tom here,115, and you can't feel a 750KG chipper, and pulls when when fully loaded.

Not chipped yet, but I may look into it to improve economy. Mine does seem quite low geared, really revvy even at 60.

My old Tranny (90bhp), however, did struggle towing anything up hill.

Depends on bhp (or PS now), gearing and age.

Think you would be ok for a limited time if you are prepared to go steady and not be tempted to overload.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You'll be able to physically tow the chipper with the Transit, we tow 2 ton often behind our LWB 350 115ps one which has a low ration drive train. Put it on behind the 280 90PS one and it struggles. The SWB 280 front wheel drive ones we have, have loads of power but no mass to control the bigger weights.

The dual mass clutches from the main dealer is around £750 and if you have a inexperienced driver, it will go after about 30k miles as one of ours did.

So in summary:

- yes it will tow it

- yes it will be hard on it and they aren't designed for it

- yes you'll almost certainly be in tacko land

- yes the dual mass clutch will "calf" after about 30k

- if you don't keep the chipper brakes tip-top you'll strip the Transits ones and end up in a hedge

- yes you will need to check gross train weights etc etc

Having said that, we've always had Transits, each bought new, main dealer serviced, we have 5 at the moment and they rarely let us down. One has nearly 150K on the clock and going strong)

(They are all Red transits - so that means we can use Red diesel in them - right?)

Edited by Gareth Dalzell

No.

You must have 28 days worth of drivers hours records with you in the vehicle for inspection by a police officer or VOSA official. Btw, I know somone who have been stopped in a 7.5 tonner and immobilised by the side of the road for 24 hours for failing to comply with this. He only had 20 day worth, and the regs had changed a few months before he was stopped.

Further to that, you or your employer if you are employed must keep the records safely for a further 12 months.

I am probably out of date on this but my understanding was you only need to use the tacho when actually towing. So officer I have not towed anything for at least the last 28 days. The 28 day bit I think is only for 7.5 tonne hgv's . But all this could have changed in the last few years. But I cant imagine anyone putting a disc in a tacho in a transit so they can go down the road for a pint of milk ?

Yes you only need the tacho when towing.

However, if you tow and therefore use the tacho on just one day in a week, you are obliged to record your drivers hours for the whole of that week, even if you dont tow again. The logical conclusion to that is, unless you know for sure your not going to tow all week on monday morning, then you had better keep drivers hours records anyway.

I get what you are saying re use the tacho when you are towing and just throw the discs away, and yes you probably would get away with it. However falsifying drivers hours records is a serious offence.

To get back on topic, I have a 54 plate 115 transit, it pulls like a train and would easlly tow a 2 ton chipper all day, mine has towed my tractor on a 16foot ifor which is close to 3.5 ton, I was surprised how well it went, its hilly round here too. I can honestly say I think that deapite clutch problems the tranny is a good van and perfectly capable of doing what you require. Just get it chipped / remapped but don't go crazy, 120 brake would be plenty.:001_smile:

My own chipper is 1.5 ton BTW

Thanks for that reply its shed a diffrent light on things. To get my truck from 90 to 120 bhp will it be a case of a single remap or abit more involving?

Same Transit as Tom here,115, and you can't feel a 750KG chipper, and pulls when when fully loaded.

Not chipped yet, but I may look into it to improve economy. Mine does seem quite low geared, really revvy even at 60.

My old Tranny (90bhp), however, did struggle towing anything up hill.

Depends on bhp (or PS now), gearing and age.

Think you would be ok for a limited time if you are prepared to go steady and not be tempted to overload.

its 90 bhp, 02 and low ratio gears. i dont drive mine past 55 as anything above that and it sounds uncomfortable.

My aim would be to only tow the chipper when empty/ish even if it means finishing later. I no it wont be possible all the time thats what ill try to do.