I think this dude is barking up the wrong tree

richyrich

OK, he does come across as a self righteous twat but I agree he makes some sense. 

It's nice for him to say it shouldn't be about money but it obviously is:

Who is going to fund more tree officers when we are seriously underfunding Nurses, Teachers, Police, Armed Forces, Social Care, Road repair, coastal defence etc etc etc.

Are the rogue arborists who are carrying out the botched street tree work and abusing TPO trees going to bother complying with some additional training/test before they attack another tree? If they are already using chainsaws without an insurance and training more regulation won't work. Bringing in a minimum knowledge level and testing will only put additional costs on those companies who are already compliant and force them to raise prices. This may then push more work towards the 'in your area' 'House clearance/rubbish removed/trees trimmed' brigade.

A 'tree first' approach is wonderful but unless he has managed to poach a lot of wealthy customers from his previous employment who are happy to pay him well for the perceived bugger all prune, he's not going to last too long.

I would like to see him converse with the ' I want this tree reduced to X because it blocks light to my conservatory' client.

I think he will be asking his old boss for his job back fairly soon and pollarding the crap out of rows of tree with gritted teeth.

Sorry to go on but doesn't the title 'Introduction to Arborists' sound like a dodgy dating site where 40+ female divorcees seek 2 stroke smelling Landrover Defender drivers?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, scbk said:

I think the poor guy needs to change his job from tree cutter to tree planter

Can just imagine him in the tilhill boardroom explaining how it'd be far better for the trees if they planted a full range of natives in equal measure, and spread them out more to give room to become the tree they want to be, and only cut them down after they've died so they can live a completely natural life.

It'd be as successful as persuading insurance companies to be more vigilant about professionalism before they sell the policy, instead of at the point of a claim!

• Like 3