How long have we urban dwellers got?

More wood left for countryside dwellers?

Tyres create alot of PM2.5 also

WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Toxic particles from tyre wear almost 2,000 times worse than from exhausts as weight of cars increases

Wonder how much versus from stoves?

Domestic particle scrubbers already exist but are not very mainstream unsure how effective they are ....

• Like 3

I know the rules (on emissions) are being tightened over time, but the UK now burns around 15 to 20 million tons of domestic and commercial waste every year in dozens of enormous "Energy Recovery Facilities". 

A decade ago when they wanted to put one of these incinerators on the Gwent Levels one of the objections raised was that although PM10 particles were filtered out and monitored there was nothing to even measure PM 2.5 particles.  Is that still the case I wonder? 

If so these facilities will be pumping out PM2.5 particles on (literally) an industrial scale.

• Like 1

You've probably also got to consider pm2.5 from brake pads along with tyres and possibly even catalytic converters. There's an old video on YouTube refining metal from road dust.

In regards to incinerators, surely they would be built to the same standard the once littered around the EU?.

Edited by GarethM

4 minutes ago, Peasgood said:

But cars are a massive revenue stream for the government so we won't do anything there.

Exactly.

Plus, most people are addicted to them. For the purposes of appearing to fix the problem, it's far easier to hit the minority of the population with wood burners, rather than the vast majority of car owners. No doubt people objecting to burning wood in stoves think nothing of driving the 1/2 mile to drop the kids off at school or the 1/2 mile to the park to walk the dog. 

1 minute ago, sime42 said:

Exactly.

Plus, most people are addicted to them. For the purposes of appearing to fix the problem, it's far easier to hit the minority of the population with wood burners, rather than the vast majority of car owners. No doubt people objecting to burning wood in stoves think nothing of driving the 1/2 mile to drop the kids off at school or the 1/2 mile to the park to walk the dog. 

Drivingthe 2 miles to the gym is the one I can't fathom out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, GarethM said:

Are you in a smoke control zone tho ?.

We always have been, so yes you could use a normal fireplace but for burning coal.

Wood requires DEFRA approved, so while many will claim to burn coal they actually burn wood.

I'm not in a smoke controlled zone.  I just burn wood now.  I hate smokeless coal and even real coal - its something about all the dust the smell, makes me feel a bit sick.

I get it that seasoning wood takes space and time but it helps massively.

29 minutes ago, Muddy42 said:

Sorry.  I hit return before finishing the post.

What I meant to add is that I think they are going about it the wrong way by focusing on the specifications of the stove/ fire place insert / flue etc.  One of my fires is just a brick hole, but with decent wood the emissions are invisible.

20 minutes ago, GarethM said:

Are you in a smoke control zone tho ?.

We always have been, so yes you could use a normal fireplace but for burning coal.

Wood requires DEFRA approved, so while many will claim to burn coal they actually burn wood.

You both make an interesting point. It's perfectly possible to run an exempt appliance badly and smoke loads and a non exempt appliance well and very cleanly.  If I understand the current legislation correctly, even with an exempt appliance you mustn't issue smoke from your chimney. Which makes enforcement a simple check. However the law I think is 'black smoke ' and more than 3 grams per hour (very recently tightened from 5).  How on earth does an enforcement officer measure that?

You can on start up and shutdown, a little.

But atleast it's a starting point for anyone already in a zone, which is really within cities.

Obviously outside it's different, but reality generally speaking is if it's smoking your not getting your moneys worth out of the fuel.

I'm sure if Khan can foist ULEZ out to the M25, he can do the same with cracking down on wood burners.

Edited by GarethM