Chain tensioning problems...

john87

There was a thread a good while back (few years possibly) where a lad was having issues with chains snapping when he was doing some milling. He’d swapped to a 3/8 low pro set up (bar and chain) on his 660 or 661, sure if memory serves that he put it down to the sprocket being at fault. The standard 3/8 sprocket differs from a 3/8 low pro sprocket ??? 🤷‍♂️ Not 100% sure as it was a good while ago, pretty sure he went to RobD at chainsawbars for some help. Maybe @RobD would know/remember possibly?

Edited by Ratman
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, pleasant said:

'Now, if i take the bar off and loop the chain back on the sprocket and pull the chain back and forth, it is smooth as silk'

Yes, is that indicative of anything?? At least now i know the chain fits the sprocket well!!

john..

1 hour ago, john87 said:

Yes, is that indicative of anything?? At least now i know the chain fits the sprocket well!!

john..

Yes....indicative of the fact you had already answered the question posed by WILLC and I quoted what you had stated to him/her.

Go back and you will see what I mean.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, pleasant said:

Yes....indicative of the fact you had already answered the question posed by WILLC and I quoted what you had stated to him/her.

Go back and you will see what I mean.

Ah, yes, i see! The sprocket in the bar turns well too though. I oil it through the little hole in the bar. You can see the roller bearings in there!

john..

Perhaps it is just the geometry of the way the chain leaves the bar and wraps round the sprocket, as i have noticed that saws vary a lot in regards to this sort of thing.

As a chain wears the gap between the bar & sprocket increases as the chain tensioner adjusts the bar outwards away from the sprocket to keep the chain the right tightness..

Might this  effect how smoothly it runs?

& some  bars are wide  near the sprocket end meaning the  chain doesn't align as well as it would on a narrower bar with  with the same sprocket...

• Like 1