Is it just me being a dinosaur or is this really poor, lazy design?

Squaredy

I like my electric vehicle and generally it is good inside, mostly the controls are OK.  But as I start to think about my next vehicle I am looking around and most electric cars have a massive touch screen fixed to the dashboard like this:

tesla-model-y-interior.thumb.jpg.a5c50268b748a8da4d401545b1b76833.jpg

It looks like they have gone to a car boot sale, bought a computer screen and fixed it on with a couple of screws.  And the thought of having to use a touch screen while driving to adjust the radio or heating I think is positively dangerous.  If it were a smaller integrated screen then I might forgive them but I feel this is just terrible design.  Hopefully the motoring public agree with me and this is just a fad, but what do you Arbtalk members think?

This is my current car inside - still annoying to change radio station - but at least it doesn't dominate the view!

2017913154_Kiae-Niro(5).webp.e4efae878a2c8c7deffa67f4a6049a64.webp

Edited by Squaredy
  • Like 1

So if you were caught texting whilst driving you'd get points and a fine (quite rightly so) as concentrating on the screen when you should be concentrating on the road ahead is a huge distraction and extremely detrimental to road safety.

All very true.

So am I missing something here or how the hell did this ever be given type approval?

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, coppice cutter said:

So if you were caught texting whilst driving you'd get points and a fine (quite rightly so) as concentrating on the screen when you should be concentrating on the road ahead is a huge distraction and extremely detrimental to road safety.

All very true.

So am I missing something here or how the hell did this ever be given type approval?

Mmmmm that is a very good point.

I'm not sure of the exact terminology but you can get done for playing around with the radio settings, possibly due care etc 

Think that's why they went more voice activated or steering wheel controls.

Not sure if things like heater controls in a Tesla are voice activated ?.

I'd need a big screen these days, how would I be able to watch the TV on it if it was smaller?

Serious though, driving is essentially easy - point the front wheel with the steering wheel, and press the go faster or go slower pedal as required, maybe do the gear thing when the engine makes odd noises. Easy.

Not sure why you need a full on computer. Radio, I reckon most of us use 2 stations and perhaps have a couple more tuned in in case of bad reception, 4 buttons required. The only exception might be in in built sat nav.

5 minutes ago, Steven P said:

I'd need a big screen these days, how would I be able to watch the TV on it if it was smaller?

Serious though, driving is essentially easy - point the front wheel with the steering wheel, and press the go faster or go slower pedal as required, maybe do the gear thing when the engine makes odd noises. Easy.

Not sure why you need a full on computer. Radio, I reckon most of us use 2 stations and perhaps have a couple more tuned in in case of bad reception, 4 buttons required. The only exception might be in in built sat nav.

Although I do sometimes listen to a wider range of channels in my modern car, it is such a pleasure to get into my old Peugeot van and press 4 for radio for and 5 for radio five.  Trying to navigate the touch screen on the Kia with its hundreds of radio stations whilst driving is not good.

4 hours ago, Ashes_Firewood said:

Main problem I have with most electric cars is that if I have to eventually have one I just want one that looks like a normal car but happens to be electric instead of petrol or diesel. Whereas most of them look weird.

Agreed.  In fact I would go further and say that there should be low tech electric cars.  Why do the manufactures think that because you like the advantages of an electric car you want every conceivable bit of technology?