Small, low vibration chainsaw?

sandspider

Huh, that does have surprisingly low vibe figures for the spec. It is also rather pricey and probably overkill. Nice though. Budget £250 ish? Ideally less, of course! I wouldn't rule out second hand, but don't really know enough to pick a good second hand saw over a bad one.

4 minutes ago, sandspider said:

Huh, that does have surprisingly low vibe figures for the spec. It is also rather pricey and probably overkill. Nice though. Budget £250 ish? Ideally less, of course! I wouldn't rule out second hand, but don't really know enough to pick a good second hand saw over a bad one.

4 minutes ago, sandspider said:

If vibes big issue Makita 36v rear handle cordless is good. Couple of 5 amp batteries.... Still over budget. Not really for thick stuff.

2 hours ago, sandspider said:

Budget £250 ish? Ideally less, of course!

For that sort of money I really can't see you doing much better than Paul's little Echo.

https://www.lawnmowersdirect.co.uk/product/echo-cs-352es-petrol-chainsaw-35cm-bar/

It was on my short list when I was looking for a new saw a couple of years ago and even though I ended up spending roughly double for the 390esx, I did have a good look at and handle one of them and it looked and felt excellent for the money. 

Edited by coppice cutter

2 hours ago, richyrich said:

If vibes big issue Makita 36v rear handle cordless is good. Couple of 5 amp batteries.... Still over budget. Not really for thick stuff.

I do have a small battery saw, the Aldi 40v. It's surprisingly good for logs up to 7" ish - I used it for coppicing and small to medium logging and it's quite impressive for cost and ease of use. I also have a mains Titan electric saw, which again does a surprisingly good job on bigger stuff, as long as there's a plug in reach.

I need (want maybe) another petrol saw, bigger but not too big. Did consider the einhell 36v saw, but don't think it's quite up to the job.

29 minutes ago, coppice cutter said:

For that sort of money I really can't see you doing much better than Paul's little Echo.

https://www.lawnmowersdirect.co.uk/product/echo-cs-352es-petrol-chainsaw-35cm-bar/

It was on my short list when I was looking for a new saw a couple of years ago and even though I ended up spending roughly double for the 390esx, I did have a good look at and handle one of them and it looked and felt excellent for the money. 

That does look a good contender. Thanks folks.

Any more suggestions to confuse me more?!

Both were available when I was looking and I considered both but at the end of the day I liked the look and feel of the 352 more, seemed a bit more "old school".

That having been said, all the saws they brought out since have been more in keeping with the style of the 3510 so that seems to be their new look, and the Japanese aren't in the habit of going backwards so I guess the 3510 would do your job equally well if not better.

Following this thread with interest... I've a MS361 as my go to saw (love it) but my 15yr old brother is wanting his first saw.  I've a MS181 which handles and cuts fine, just always been a bugger to start and feels a bit cheap so unsure if to recommend to him.

V interested to hear the suggestions of Echo, so they'd sit up there against the stihl/husky domestic saws quality wise? (Not too fussed on vib/chain speed)

He's looking at one of these; 

Any good?? I've never tried one.

Probably loads of similiar threads on here somewhere...