Positive input ventilation

Conner

5 hours ago, carlos said:

what sort of hygrometers do you use?, thanks

They are just cheap combined hygrometers/thermometers like this:

WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

Humidity Resolution: 1%. Daily Alarm Function. 12/24 Hourly Clock. Calendar Display Function. °C/°F Temperature Switch Display.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GarethM said:

Fitted wardrobes in older houses are a spawn of Satan for dampness as it stops air circulation.

Granted we leave the doors open, which kinda defeats the purpose of a wardrobe.

Might be a timber Vs MDF argument, for natural wicking away moisture I dunno.

Yes this is on the corner of the fitted wardrobe vent in wardrobe old air brick so always cold in there. Thought it would be better than blocking it up though. 

5 hours ago, Conner said:

Well gents as she who makes all the decisions has decided to have the wardrobes pulled out. I have found the cause of my condensation problem. The problem area is directly under a vent in the roof so cold bridging as the cold air from outside blows directly onto the insulation creating a cold area on the ceiling. Some ducting needed me thinks.

image.jpg

If you are redecorating that and not having a fitted wardrobe polystyrene coving would insulate the cold bridge from inside.

19 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

If you are redecorating that and not having a fitted wardrobe polystyrene coving would insulate the cold bridge from inside.

Yes wardrobes have gone. There was coving where the mould patch is. The worst part was under the coving and a line on the outside. As previously said the insulation was not fitted above this area it was abt 6” short of the wall . I have insulated this now.

1 hour ago, Conner said:

Yes wardrobes have gone. There was coving where the mould patch is. The worst part was under the coving and a line on the outside. As previously said the insulation was not fitted above this area it was abt 6” short of the wall . I have insulated this now.

Unless the coving was badly fitting  I cannot see how the moisture for the mould to live on would have got there from the inside.

VMC units are standard in every French house including renovations.

Ventilation Mechanical Controlé 

If I turn ours off, the temperature rises but the air becomes humid and stale with cooking odours.

You can't hear the fan, only a light whisper as air is draw into the ceiling vents.

There is a more advanced thus costly version that recuperates the heat from the warm air being drawn out.

Well worth installing one but much easier in a renovation if you want to run the ducts to the kitchen and downstairs toilet.

5 hours ago, skc101fc said:

Wouldn't want anything I'd done in the downstairs toilet circulating around the house. The milk would go sour, the fruit would shrivel and the wife and cats would leave,  until the pest exterminators found what made the godawful stink !

The air is drawn out and vented from the roof whilst fresh air enters through vents in the top of the windows in our gaff.