Small Sleeper wall without posts...

SleepySteve

Hi there, was looking for a second opinion on a small sleeper wall I'll be building a client some time soon. 

Customer would like a small sleeper wall built with 200x100 sleepers laid flat, 4 high, so 400mm total. I would usually secure using posts on one side but they don't want to see posts.

The only way I can think of is laying the 1st 3 sleepers, drilling a series of 50mm holes all the way through, then driving scaffold tubes through this hole and into the ground (they have diameter of 48.3mm) Maybe 600mm in the ground, so 900mm total length. Then finally fix the 4th sleeper on top to hide the scaffold tube. 

Any other ideas?

will these help you can get them in different Lenths 

WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

<p><b>300mm Timberfix Landscaping Screws + Free Hexagonal Driver Bit</b></p> <p>Timberfix sleeper fastener screws.</p> <p>Timberfix replaces coach screws and enables...

You could break your 'challenge' down into two parts:

1  Secure the base layer of sleepers to the ground, possibly as you have suggested

2  Secure the next three layers to each other.

In the past I have done this using M20 or M25 galvanised threaded bar, secured to the underside of the base layer with a square washer and nylock before it was set onto the ground stakes, and then the other layers/beds sat on top of it using pre-drilled holes.  The penultimate layer had a nut and washer set into it to bind the lower three layers together, then the top layer/bed was sat upon it as you have suggested.  A bit of a fankle but it is still insitu and looking good 4 years later.  I did saturate all of the holes with preservative before placing them insitu.

The detail will depend on what purpose the wall is serving. 

• Like 1

Why so?  This was a job we did a couple of years ago, with sleepers standing on edge and where the top did not need to be clear of fixings etc.  First pic is the job in progress, second is just before we seeded it.  (Lower gap is to allow flood waters to escape, step in front face was to allow stepping up from ground level for maintenance)

The sleepers were of uniform size etc - we also have some oak (I think French) which we got from Normans in Carlisle and they were all spot on size wise.

IMG_7241.thumb.JPG.a21b8cb406446a5adf532c44b95feeae.JPG

IMG_7309.thumb.JPG.ddd861e42f94c31d330634ec273a0385.JPG

Thanks for the replies guys, the wall is purely for show, to divide their patio and lawn area. No difference in ground levels, so no ground being retained by the "wall" ha. 

They had said they may replace with a brick wall one day, I'm just replacing what's already there for new to make it presentable (existing sleeper wall is very old and falling apart). Will be interesting to see how the old sleepers were fixed to the ground, if at all! As there are no posts either 

On 14/01/2023 at 20:46, SleepySteve said:

They had said they may replace with a brick wall one day, I'm just replacing what's already there for new to make it presentable (existing sleeper wall is very old and falling apart).

Maybe suggest that they have a footing suitable for a brick wall laid, then chemfix some studding anchors in,  3 sleepers high, drill holes through the bottom 3 sleeper courses and lower them over the studding as you go. Then bolt down tight to top of course 3, cap off with course 4.

Gets the job done well, gives you a bit more work and saves them  money in the long run, if they ever have the brickwork done. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 15/01/2023 at 09:35, dumper said:

If mine would drill all sleeper apart from top and drive 12 MM rebar through into a hole dug underneath then fill hole with a nice wet proper concrete mix not postcrete ,then screw top sleeper to rest, glue and plug screw holes 

Like this idea.  I reckon if you go down the scaffold tube route you'll regret it after about the 2nd hole, be a blighter drilling 50mm holes through sleepers I would think?