Salvaged Wrought iron gates.

difflock

Bugger!

No image.Like wot I thought I had.

Anyway, taking away a hedge and almost certainly  late Victorian period gates, one double set for veh access, and a ped gate as well.

They are rusty in parts, mostly the flat sections, but still loads of solid nom 3/4" square section bar, and they are seriously  seriously heavy.

So is the wrought iron likely to be of interest to someone in the blacksmith community, before I cart them to the scrappy.

Marcus

Edited by difflock

Dumper, you know your gates, and you would be correct, (but I lazily used the Victorian label, since the house simply looks the defination of Victorian period too me) since the house was built between 1906 and 1912.

The bottom socket is still in the concrete.

Since the bottoms of the gate posts were rusty I just cut them off.

I can kango the socket out?

But why?

Cheers

Edited by difflock

3 hours ago, difflock said:

Dumper, you know your gates, and you would be correct, but I lazily used the Victorian label, since the house was built between 1906 and 1912.

The bottom socket is still in the concrete.

Since the bottoms of the gate posts were rusty I just cut them off.

I can kango the socket out?

But why?

Cheers

been working on wrought iron gates lately, bottom hinge was on gate post footplate, conical blob on footplate with concave on bottom of gate stile, worked brilliantly and still does, similar arrangement for top hinge as in pic. Gates were wrought, gate posts were cast.

14 hours ago, difflock said:

Bugger!

No image.Like wot I thought I had.

Anyway, taking away a hedge and almost certainly  late Victorian period gates, one double set for veh access, and a ped gate as well.

They are rusty in parts, mostly the flat sections, but still loads of solid nom 3/4" square section bar, and they are seriously  seriously heavy.

So is the wrought iron likely to be of interest to someone in the blacksmith community, before I cart them to the scrappy.

Marcus

Def put on marketplace or similar.  In a salvage yard they would be several hundred squids.  Bit Rusty, but far superior to their modern equivalent sadly!

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, difflock said:

The stile of these gates is forged into a cylinderical section at the bottom, which must have sat in a socket, the same way agricultural gates used to be swung.

Was talking about this type of hinge with someone recently.

Would the bottom socket have been a bit of tube/pipe, or a stone with a dimple carved for it to sit in?

In a rural setting, with wooden posts, ie not a paved driveway?

• Like 1