who owns tree after quote / invoice

Czlowiek Drzewo

Agreed.

It always pays to be specific at the quote stage.

If the customer wants to keep the wood, that's fine (and happening a lot more often now!), but I explain it will be left in biggish lumps the way it comes down. If they want it logged it will be extra.

Took a big Ash down once as a subby climber, customer keeping the wood.

Tree down, two of us stacking large rings, customer came out and said he wanted it cut and split into 6" logs. All 15-17 tonnes of it!

Glad it wasn't my job.....

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What and they actually did it.....!!??

I put on the quote "no splitting" then if they want it split, my splitter and operator is £60/hr another day, but the original bill has to settled on completion of the original work as quoted and we are booked up for 2 months but can fit in the splitting then if they want.

Nah, left it big, but I'm glad it wasn't my argument because it got quite heated! Bloke was a chancer, but the gaffer should have sorted it out before we'd started a saw.

Communication is the key!

Took down a big pop for Julian Clary once, and he wanted it logged. I explained I hadn't quoted for that, which he was totally cool with, and got an extra £350 for a day sat in the sun busting rings with my electric splitter using his electricity!

That was back during much happier times!

Off up the yard in a minute to start brushing snow off my log pile......

Hi Martyn1,

I'm no 'legal eagle', and your post presents a very interesting conodrum, however I will try to offer a (personal) opinion.

Whilst I quite agree that including a clause on your written quoatation stating 'All arising to be removed from site', or words to that effect, infers you are taking possesion of the timber I'm not sure that would stand up to a legal challenge.

This particular case may now be down to gentle persuasion, a little bluffing perhaps, and careful negotiation BUT ideally, I would suggest, it should either state on the writtten quote that the price includes 'with any timber value transferring to yourself, or to include the value of the timber'...or summat like that, OR to include some quite specifc wording to that effect in your 'terms and conditions of service' AND, ideally, getting them (the customer) to sign to accept your quote and thereby the 'Ts & Cs' (although verbal aceptance does act to secure a 'contract'.)

Sorry doesn't offer a solution on this occasion but hopefully may avoid a repeat in future.

To ALL readers of my reply I promise I will try to be shorter and more concise in replying in future instead of 'waffling on man!'

Cheers all.

P.

Agreed.

It always pays to be specific at the quote stage.

If the customer wants to keep the wood, that's fine (and happening a lot more often now!), but I explain it will be left in biggish lumps the way it comes down. If they want it logged it will be extra.

Took a big Ash down once as a subby climber, customer keeping the wood.

Tree down, two of us stacking large rings, customer came out and said he wanted it cut and split into 6" logs. All 15-17 tonnes of it!

Glad it wasn't my job.....

i agree with mr bolam

i think there will be alot more of this, now firewood is getting popular - we get asked alot for "can we keep the wood when youve cut it down "- we say yes, but it will be in big rings - splitting into logs will be extra - and we stipulate a price -

but also get alot of can you cut my tree down - surely the cost of firewood out of it will cover your costs! - NO :sneaky2:

always best to cover whats happening with the wood before quoting - and also we hardly ever now do a job cheaper for the cost of the wood - been caught out before and it sometimes doesnt work out for the best:blushing:

Nah, left it big, but I'm glad it wasn't my argument because it got quite heated! Bloke was a chancer, but the gaffer should have sorted it out before we'd started a saw.

Communication is the key!

Took down a big pop for Julian Clary once, and he wanted it logged. I explained I hadn't quoted for that, which he was totally cool with, and got an extra £350 for a day sat in the sun busting rings with my electric splitter using his electricity!

That was back during much happier times!

Off up the yard in a minute to start brushing snow off my log pile......

Ah, the old days of busting your ring at Julian Clary's house. Happy times!!!

lets say that you give costumer written quote to fell oak tree and remove all derbis from site.

You quote the job low so you can get it because you think it will be nice bit of timber to mill and some good firewood out of it.

You finnish loading up firewood and milling timber ...and the costumer decides they would like to keep the milled timber.

Who owns the timber?

I personally think by given a quote for ' Removal of tree and debris from site ' means that as soon as tree is down and on back of my van...i now own the timber i have milled. but if the insist on keeping the milled timber .. they can have all the rest of it including the chips ( tipped on driveway ofcourse )

Any thoughts on this?

If you want to mill on site in the future tell the customer so that they dont feel they are being misled. As soon as your milling on site the client feels like there's a product being created which you are going sell........in theory the customer could then start charging you rent for using their property as a woodmill.

If you want to mill on site in the future tell the customer so that they dont feel they are being misled. As soon as your milling on site the client feels like there's a product being created which you are going sell........in theory the customer could then start charging you rent for using their property as a woodmill.

That was my thoughts in the first place, but the thread has raised issues relating to all wood by products not just milled wood. ANd there is no clear answer, and I doubt the law would be clear either.