Career Change

Fel

On 10/01/2023 at 21:18, MattyF said:

I’ve had two lads go on and join the marines and one told me it was a piece of piss after doing production climbing and arb work.. 

I’m currently working with a lad who started last year at 44 after working as civil servant doing pensions his whole life , he loves it but He also loves going in a cage and fighting and getting his face smashed in at the weekends, to be fair when we got to 2.30 today after been pissed on by the weather all day and scrambling around and getting torn up in brambles trying to carry slippery brash and logs he still didn’t mind dropping another 5 trees. 

You've sold him on it i think Matty😆👍

• Haha 1

On 10/01/2023 at 20:10, devon TWiG said:

Fel , can you do your current job part time ...or take extended leave / sabbatical ?  It is not always easy to step out of your comfort zone in to the unknown and it is easy for others to be brave on your behalf but they do not have any consequences !! Would it be possible to resume your current line of work in a year or two is it does not work out ?...

That’s an interesting point which I had not considered. I’ll have to look into it in more detail. I have been looking at if I could maybe work compressed hours and using that additional day a week to shadow a crew and gain some experience.

• Like 1

On 11/01/2023 at 11:28, josharb87 said:

What are you earning now and what would be the bare minimum you’d need to take home, without fail, each month?

I guess minimum monthly income would have to be somewhere in the ball park of 1800-2000. If I can clear 2000 a month, I think I’d be okay.

I was thinking that I could gain some income with work on the side at the weekends (lawn mowing, hedge trimming, brush cutting etc) 

2 hours ago, Fel said:

I guess minimum monthly income would have to be somewhere in the ball park of 1800-2000. If I can clear 2000 a month, I think I’d be okay.

I was thinking that I could gain some income with work on the side at the weekends (lawn mowing, hedge trimming, brush cutting etc) 

before or after tax and deductions?

18 hours ago, Fel said:

take home… after tax and deductions

That's roughly £30k a year then before tax. You'll struggle to get anywhere near that just starting out I'm afraid. Depends where in the country of course but outside of London and the SE ARB salaries just aren't that high.

Don't wish to seem negative but if you need 1800-2000 take home per month then you might need to reconsider.

• Like 2

Interesting to note, the adult (over 23 years) national minimum wage is going up in April to £10.42 per hour.

Therefore the minimum the lowest of the low jobs have to pay for a 38.5 hour week (as an example) is going to be just shy of £21k PA.

Puts doing a job with professional qualifications and experience into context. So if you have spent a fortune on training, got your tickets and are working in the pouring rain, or minus 5 ground clearing for £25k, for £4k less you could be in the warm with all the benefits of working for a multi national doing the most basic job in the organisation.....look at Tesco- they will be offering DAY time full time shelf stacking jobs after April for £11.50 per hour- £23k a year.

Think about it.

(I am, at my age!)

• Like 1

and that might be the bottom line of the answer, physically fit, keen, happy to train and start at the bottom, but with financial commitments it might not be possible.

So the next question, drop the take home to minimum wage, how long can you work at that for before you are in trouble - and that gives you a clue of how quick you need to get the experience to ask for better wages. Am sure no one out there would think they could walk into a £30k job with no experience... so what's the time scale you need to get to that level? Might be not possible, might be you can get by for a year or so.

Finances got Al Capone, they get most of us somewhere or other.

(Just to note the comment above, OP sounds happy - for now - to take on 6 days working, which at minimum wage - and including paid holidays takes you to about the Tesco rate).

To me sounds the best way to go is get the training you are interested in, and do the work part time, weekend shift is available, take holidays, volunteer at places or whatever to gain the experience with no financial risk which might allow you to ask for a higher rate... and save save save just on case you jump before you can get that rate

• Like 3