Dealing with problem staff that don't listen

Chrissy

4 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

You’ve yet again missed the point Mull. The balance of power swings in both directions. It really matters not the size of the business nor the number of employees. Sooner or later the balance of power will tilt in either direction. As an employer you need to be astute enough to gauge to market closely enough to feel of you have the scope to punish minor infringements severely enough end them or see the disciplinary action have an unexpected detrimental effect on the company.

It’s a fine line HR, Managers and Legal tread in big boy works. Small potatoes could grab their coattails for free, 

Its an interesting side note to how your career of 30 years was so ineffectual (inefficient?) that at the point of when it’s generally expected of someone to have run their own business for so long that retirement and a daily fat cigar is expected. 

Fore give me  for preempting your retort of “ I do this because I want to” because we both know it’s BS. So with that excuse out if the way why do you think that after 30 years of working for yourself and now having to be someone’s bitch do you think you have any authority to voice your opinion? it has to be the drink talking? 

Seems to be you doing the big life talk Andy! You’re the man eh? 🤣🤣 when you’re a wee bit older you’ll look back on this and realise what a wee fanny you have been. We’ve all been there.

2 hours ago, Chrissy said:

This one comes up time and time again and im sure im not alone.

I had an irate customer complain today that my lads had dragged branches across the side of his rendered house leaving marks. He's within his rights to be upset about this and we will be going back tomorrow with a pressure washer to hopefully sort this out.

Thing is, the lads have been told time and time again to cut stuff smaller but insist on still doing the same thing, whether its just lazyness or they just don't give a toss I dont know. They are hard working lads and on the whole don't do an awful lot wrong. How would you tackle this? Im not sure legally I can make them pay for this sort of thing, nor would I want to be the boss to do that.

You can if it is in their contract

john..

Just now, Mull said:

Seems to be you doing the big life talk Andy! You’re the man eh? 🤣🤣 when you’re a wee bit older you’ll look back on this and realise what a wee fanny you have been. We’ve all been there.

I’m happy to admit I’m a small cog in a big wheel Mull. I’m a number and nothing more. Ergo I’m employed and paid in a direct relationship in what I can offer a multi-billion dollar company. If I don’t self invest and diversify my knowledge base I’ll be left behind with the dinosaurs. I keep myself relevant and if not irreplaceable as financially as close to that as possible. 

But Mull, you’re washed up. 30 years in the game and still out hawking with cap in hand? I knew your where a 🥃 but it’s sad to see you need to keep asking the boss how high to keep the fix. 

There is nothing someone who has sucked so hard at life that I could consider wisdom. apart from “don’t do drugs”. 

6 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

I’m happy to admit I’m a small cog in a big wheel Mull. I’m a number and nothing more. Ergo I’m employed and paid in a direct relationship in what I can offer a multi-billion dollar company. If I don’t self invest and diversify my knowledge base I’ll be left behind with the dinosaurs. I keep myself relevant and if not irreplaceable as financially as close to that as possible. 

But Mull, you’re washed up. 30 years in the game and still out hawking with cap in hand? I knew your where a 🥃 but it’s sad to see you need to keep asking the boss how high to keep the fix. 

There is nothing someone who has sucked so hard at life that I could consider wisdom. apart from “don’t do drugs”. 

🤣🤣keep on telling yourself, wee soul! Makes me laugh, a lot. Your an important man trig🤣🤣

2 hours ago, Mull said:

You sound like a reasonable guy, sounds like the guys are shifting stuff quicker and getting the job done🤷‍♂️, not sure how you see that as lazy? 

Believe me when I say it takes far more effort to sned out and bundle up brash by the arm full then it is to to grab a few but ends and and haul it out. 

I can't really offer any decent advice to the op on how to deal with it other than make it crystal clear to the workers about the consequences of their actions.

In regards to docking their pay I'm fairly sure you could, as its negligence but I think it comes down to what is written in their contract. It's not s road that many small business would go down mind.

It could be a storm in a tea cup when you actually see the damage done. Hopefully!

I hope you can sort it out with minimal cost and grievance

Just now, Mull said:

🤣🤣keep on telling yourself, wee soul! Makes me laugh, a lot. Your an important man trig🤣🤣

It’s “you’re an important man Trig.”

No matter…

I’m a wee cog in a big wheel. I’ve stated this repeatedly Mull. 

But to grind for 30 years for yourself and not be able to retire? To be someone’s bitch now? Geeeeez. Bet you wish you kept this home truth to yourself, eh? This is the kind of dirt you have to pay to dig up. 🥃🥃🥃Mull just hands out Easter Eggs. 

And again, to preempt. Don’t give me the “Im

just keeping my hand in” BS. ;)

1 hour ago, Steve Bullman said:

I've heard time and time again over the years workers boasting how the companies will be screwed when they leave. Well guess what, they leave and the companies carry on just fine.

Spot on. Especially with small owner run businesses.

3 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

It’s “you’re an important man Trig.”

No matter…

I’m a wee cog in a big wheel. I’ve stated this repeatedly Mull. 

But to grind for 30 years for yourself and not be able to retire? To be someone’s bitch now? Geeeeez. Bet you wish you kept this home truth to yourself, eh? This is the kind of dirt you have to pay to dig up. 🥃🥃🥃Mull just hands out Easter Eggs. 

And again, to preempt. Don’t give me the “Im

just keeping my hand in” BS. 

not unhappy with my lot tbh.

Just now, Mull said:

not unhappy with my lot tbh.

You would be if you opened your eyes. 

FFS man, you’re the epitome of how to f*%k your life up and pretend it’s not happened. 30 years and now someone’s bitch? There’s no way of dressing up how much you’ve sucked at life. 

I almost feel bad about gloating. Almost. 

The reality is anyone took you seriously before would you personally expect them to to continually do so? And if so why? 

1 minute ago, trigger_andy said:

You would be if you opened your eyes. 

FFS man, you’re the epitome of how to f*%k your life up and pretend it’s not happened. 30 years and now someone’s bitch? There’s no way of dressing up how much you’ve sucked at life. 

I almost feel bad about gloating. Almost. 

The reality is anyone took you seriously before would you personally expect them to to continually do so? And if so why? 

I almost feel sorry for you Andy. Almost.