All terrain or Mud tyres for 2wd

briscoe

I have an old isuzu pickup which is 2wd. My tip spot /storage is on a farm which does get muddy in winter and truck can get stuck .

I am considering fitting some all terrain or mud tyres an wondering if any 2wd van or tipper people have done this with any success?  Also which tyre either mud or all terrain? 

It is only in recent years I have had a 4x4, prior to that I went several decades with a Cabstar and mud and Snow tyres. I went a lot of places people would call me a liar if I told them.

Got stuck a few times too but have done that in a 4x4 and in a tractor. 4x4 and or off road tyres don't turn things into hovercrafts, a certain amount of experience and knowing what you can do helps as much as the tyres do.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, briscoe said:

I have an old isuzu pickup which is 2wd. My tip spot /storage is on a farm which does get muddy in winter and truck can get stuck .

I am considering fitting some all terrain or mud tyres an wondering if any 2wd van or tipper people have done this with any success?  Also which tyre either mud or all terrain? 

I had matadors fitted to my old LDV and they definately make a world of difference.

Have AT2's on my pickup which also make all the difference. Yes its a 4wd model but probably used the 4wd a hand full of times.

• Like 1

Tyres can make a big difference on 2WD’s.

I chucked some cheapo Fedima AT’s on the (twin) rears on the Transit a few years ago. They are basically BFG AT copies.

Made a huge difference on wet grass, slippy gateways etc.

Couldn’t source them in skinny tyre size last time, in this country at least, (185/75/r16), so went for something less aggressive, and have regretted it.

If you’re wallowing in mud, forget it, but the extra traction in a lot of situations can really help.

Would you say narrow tyre better for mud? Also do 4wd in 2wd mode drive from front axle or rear? 2wd mostly seem to drive from rear axle which is strange as I think this is more sport car territory. 

There are only two sizes in my isuzu manual but I think you can also go for slightly different sizes

It would be ideal if there was a decent online directory for all tyres for any particular vehicle - trying to source whats available with correct load rating, speed index and alternative sizes is quite a task! If you use the generic well known tyre company search engines they often come up with wheel sizes which arent designed for vehicle. 

8 hours ago, briscoe said:

Would you say narrow tyre better for mud? Also do 4wd in 2wd mode drive from front axle or rear? 2wd mostly seem to drive from rear axle which is strange as I think this is more sport car territory. 

There are only two sizes in my isuzu manual but I think you can also go for slightly different sizes

It would be ideal if there was a decent online directory for all tyres for any particular vehicle - trying to source whats available with correct load rating, speed index and alternative sizes is quite a task! If you use the generic well known tyre company search engines they often come up with wheel sizes which arent designed for vehicle. 

I think narrow tyre for slopey mud only if there is a hard base beneith the mud . If not then the wider the better as in floatation . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Stubby said:

I think narrow tyre for slopey mud only if there is a hard base beneith the mud . If not then the wider the better as in floatation . 

If there's a firm base under the mud narrow tyres are loads better, on muddy mud neither are great as when they slip the treads fill with mud and you have slicks. 

I have never really experienced any flotation benefit from wider tyres but that is the theory.