Battery Chainsaw?

petercb

6 minutes ago, HillyJohn said:

Stihl MSA 220 will not deliver full power with an AP300 battery, which does not deliver enough current, needs AP300S or AP500S. Even my MSA200 pulls better with a higher capacity battery than the supplied AP300.

Yep, I meant 300S and as a 2nd battery I have my eye on a 500S👍

7 minutes ago, HillyJohn said:

Stihl MSA 220 will not deliver full power with an AP300 battery, which does not deliver enough current, needs AP300S or AP500S. Even my MSA200 pulls better with a higher capacity battery than the supplied AP300.

Yup.....I can vouch for that. Mind you, give it another 6 months and the AP300S/500S battery technology will be outdated and they will be on to AP400/600's such is the fact that manufacturers haven't reached the peak of development, and much like all electronic stuff, it's pretty much out of date once it's made it's way to market. Give it a few more years before investing serious money in battery kit unless you can write it down, as technical developments will take longer to improve and will gradually plateau.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, pleasant said:

Yup.....I can vouch for that. Mind you, give it another 6 months and the AP300S/500S battery technology will be outdated and they will be on to AP400/600's such is the fact that manufacturers haven't reached the peak of development, and much like all electronic stuff, it's pretty much out of date once it's made it's way to market. Give it a few more years before investing serious money in battery kit unless you can write it down, as technical developments will take longer to improve and will gradually plateau.

As an insider so to speak do you have direct info on another level of battery in the pipeline which would be worth hanging on for? cheers

Hey up, I've got the rear handle battery Stihl msa200 & 161? used for both tree work and carving, but recently my petrol echo top handle was playing up so I went for the Makita battery topper and it's really good, if had time again I would of brought the Makita rear handles instead of the Stihls and saved a lot of money and brought stack of Makita batteries with the saving.

IMG_20221112_110208609.jpg

• Like 4

Just now, pleasant said:

I do, but I am embargoed I'm afraid

Thanks, I'll hang on then🙄

I'd no sooner bought the 200 when the 220 appeared, that said it didn't cost much to upgrade the sprocket bar and chain.. a little less power in the motor apparently... but still a different saw altogether on 3/8".

Just coz I have been curious and because the two main players seem to not be able to supply  batteries , I bought a back handle 40v battery saw . Its a garden center/B+Q type of thing . Its called Yard Force . I got saw and 3x 40v batteries and charger for  £180 . It has a 14" bar and narrow gauge chain , 'orrible  tooless tensioner ( but it works ) and If you don't try and use it like a petrol saw it does cut surprisingly well . You have to let the saw do the work without leaning on it but you quickly find the sweat spot for max efficiency . The only thing I really don't like about it is the dead mans button . Instead of being where a conventional saw would be its on the side of the handle and you have to keep it pressed with the side of your thumb . I might wire it together so its always live .

• Like 2

Think id still choose the msa220 over a msa300 as I think batteries niche atm is the smaller saws but the  msa300 is trying to compete in the pro 40cc-  50cc class but has less power and more weight less runtime than petrol so I think might be underwhelming?

Happy with my 18v makita.

A grouptest review on the new 40v makitas & new echo  versus the husky &  stihl would be interesting....

• Like 2

Well MSA300 seems to be out of stock fairly universally as do batteries for it. Husky 540i xp is much the same. 

MSA220 and AP300S are available but £950 for it with two batteries and a charger is quite an investment if you're not sure it's going to do the job.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Stere said:

Think id still choose the msa220 over a msa300 as I think batteries niche atm is the smaller saws but the  msa300 is trying to compete in the pro 40cc-  50cc class but has less power and more weight less runtime than petrol so I think might be underwhelming?

Happy with my 18v makita.

A grouptest review on the new 40v makitas & new echo  versus the husky &  stihl would be interesting....

Would be very useful.