Weight estimation for level load of Leylandii wood in single cab pickup

briscoe

1 hour ago, GarethM said:

Don't think it's the license weight is a limited as such.

It's more what the plated weight capacity of the vehicle and trailer is capable.

Think anyone can now tow legally like 5ton with a f150 as an example.

No they cant.

Max trailer plated weight for a car driver is 3500kg so 5t is well out. Also some F150's will have plated weight over 3500kg so then cant be driven on a car licence either.

• Like 1

Ref: 

Licences issued before 1 January 1997

You are not affected by the changes if you passed your car driving test before 1 January 1997.

You’re usually allowed to drive a vehicle and trailer combination up to 8,250kg maximum authorised mass (MAM). View your driving licence information to check.

You’re also allowed to drive a minibus with a trailer over 750kg MAM.

Licences issued from 1 January 1997 to 18 January 2013

If you passed your car driving test from 1 January 1997 to 18 January 2013, you were allowed to drive either of the following:

• a car or van up to 3,500kg MAM towing a trailer of up to 750kg MAM (up to 4,250kg in total)
  • a trailer over 750kg MAM, as long as it is no more than the unladen weight of the towing vehicle (up to 3,500kg in total)

What changed on 16 December 2021

If you passed your car driving test from 1 January 1997, you’re now allowed to tow trailers up to 3,500kg MAM.

• Like 1

THE GRAND REVEAL ON THE WEIGHT OF LEYLANDII LOGS

The pile to me looked like 350-400kg but felt like more in the back of the truck

Estimates here have been 240kg - 980kg

The actual weight was :

713 KGs

Congrats to all participants and winner is Waterbuoy being 7kg out at 720kg. 

I find it surprising that this small pile weighed so much! It would be very easy to go over limits and not realise. I will be doing the same with woodchip in the next few weeks. Most likely conifer of some sort. 

I think lorry's are fitted with some sort of weighing scales. Plane weights are calculated from average person weights which is necessary for fuel use/take off speeds etc. This would be tricky with logs but I would be interested to do some with hardwood logs and also see some done for larger transit tippers.

Whats the load limit on a cabstar or transit tipper? If a ton these must regularly be overloaded if a level load in a pickup weighs 700kg or there abouts.

• Like 1

Briscoe cut and pasted the actual article above.

Medium-sized vehicles - Category C1

You can drive vehicles between 3,500 and 7,500kg MAM (with a trailer up to 750kg).

Category C1E

You can drive C1 category vehicles with a trailer over 750kg.

The combined MAM of both cannot exceed 12,000kg.

Edited by GarethM

34 minutes ago, Rich Rule said:

Some of those ridiculously light guesses were exactly that, ridiculous.

I am sure many here have taken down Lleylandii before.  The logs are proper heavy compared to other species.

One doesn't carry them though.

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, GarethM said:

Briscoe cut and pasted the actual article above.

Medium-sized vehicles - Category C1

You can drive vehicles between 3,500 and 7,500kg MAM (with a trailer up to 750kg).

Category C1E

You can drive C1 category vehicles with a trailer over 750kg.

The combined MAM of both cannot exceed 12,000kg.

I am quite aware of that.  I had C1 E on my license as I passed in 1992.

I was in a minor traffic altercation in London and the Police turned up.  My old license 12000kg MAM was still registered at my family home in the North East and I had mentioned I lived around the corner.

He suggested I update my license as I was looking at a grand fine.

License came back with C1 (7500kg) plus E with a n107 towing restriction (750kg). 8250kg MAM.

So are you no saying I can drive up to 12000kg MAM?

• Like 1

• Steve Bullman changed the title to Weight estimation for level load of Leylandii wood in single cab pickup