Weight estimation for level load of Leylandii wood in single cab pickup

briscoe

19 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

My DC Tranny goes 2850 on the bridge with 2 of us, tools and dog in the cab.

Leaves a payload of 650.

It’s f-all really.

2.4m3 bed space without sides (which I have), and fresh conny chip going about 300kg/m3, if I’m level, I’m loaded.

Then reality kicks in…..

I just pop another Stella for every additional 50kg.

Are the weigh bridges free to use?

You have a transit tipper with only 650kg payload? So you legally couldnt carry the logs in the first picture. This means most arb trucks are likely over loaded most of the time.

• Like 1

WWW.GOV.UK

Find your nearest weighbridge if you need to weigh your van, lorry, trailer, tractor or other vehicle

No public weighbridge near me so £12 for a private one. 

3.3 Excess weight offences

When a fixed penalty notice or conditional offer is issued for an excess weight offence, the examiner will also prevent the vehicle going any further.

This is to:

• stop an overweight vehicle being used on the road
  • preserve road safety

A fixed penalty is the preferred option for dealing with excess weight offences unless:

• the offence is too serious
  • the maximum number of penalty notices would be exceeded

The table below shows the current graduated penalty levels for excess weight matters.

Severity Endorsable Fixed penalty amount
Less than 10% No £100
10% up to but not including 15% No £200
15% and over No £300

A £100 penalty will be given for a 0% to 9.99% overload, but DVSA examiners will allow a 5% leeway before issuing a fixed penalty or prohibition, unless the relevant weight has been exceeded by 1 tonne or more.

Normally, a fixed penalty would be inappropriate for serious cases of overloading - for example when the vehicle is overloaded by 30% and over, or the excess weight is 5 tonnes - so a court summons would be issued instead.

If the excess weight and the way the load is carried is having a significant effect on road safety - for example, serious instability or loss of control, these other offences will mean a court summons, with the excess weight being part of the offence/s.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, briscoe said:

Are the weigh bridges free to use?

The Highways ones were but none available in Surrey or Sussex now. Similarly the local authority ones were available for a small fee to weigh loads and would often be free for a check weigh but all closed near me now.

I tended to check weigh at a local metal dealer or tip as a free favour.

Slightly scary:

Normally, a fixed penalty would be inappropriate for serious cases of overloading - for example when the vehicle is overloaded by 30% and over.

In the case of a 680kg payload, an excess of 204kg ( really 6-7 reasonable sized logs) might see you in a court summons situation and potential license suspension. 

That’s the way it is.

I’m also legally obliged to have a ‘NO SMOKING ALLOWED IN THIS VEHICLE’ sign clearly visible on the dash at all times, or be susceptible to a £100 fine.

I haven’t got one, it would get hidden behind Danny Mac’s Golden Virginia pouches and Rizla boxes.

My vehicle, my rules.

These fuckwits seem to have forgotten who pays their wages.

• Like 5

If you've got the old pre 97 license is it not tempting to go for a 5t iveco or mercedes tipper? They look similar size . 

Or go for 3.5t tipper towing a 2 t trailer and 750kg chipper. If this is legal then hard to see how this would be safer that 1.5 t loaded in tipper.  

Anything over 3.5 requires ‘O’ licence and another set of bollocks I can’t be arsed to deal with.

I’ve been running over for decades, and will continue to do so until they sort the shite laws out.

Plating trucks capable of 5.5 down to 3.5 is a joke.

Pikeys do what they want, with utterly no recourse, me running a bit over makes sod all difference.

A couple of copper mates thought I could carry 3.5t in my Transit.

The system is FUBAR’d.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Mark Bolam said:

I’ve been running over for decades, and will continue to do so until they sort the shite laws out.

The system is FUBAR’d.

Point 1

Me too, looking at the springs and mentally working out how to get to the tip site using only back roads is a required skill for a diehard 3.5 tonner like me.

Point : 2 Maybe, but in our favour, keep off the motorways, don’t tow the chipper behind the overloaded truck, don’t speed or do stupid stuff and you’ll be very unlucky to get a tug.

Are you looking for better enforcement or more regulation?

• Like 1

• Steve Bullman changed the title to Weight estimation for level load of Leylandii wood in single cab pickup