Is our current society coming to an end?

Woodworks

7 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

Plenty of good Mp’s about from both the major party’s, David Amess was a well thought about conservative who served his constituency well. You try to argue much more than you should.

He's almost always wrong about facts too. Think of him as an anti-barometer - if he says something, then the opposite is probably true. Is bot-baiter even a concept?

11 minutes ago, Johnsond said:

See there you go with the goat sex thing again. There’s definitely room for another thread on here I’d say. He’s made his own money and doesn’t give a **************** what anyone thinks which appeals to my sense of values. He most definitely doesn’t need me to protect him. You definitely struggle with the idea of an opposing view or opinion it would seem. 

Pot kettle black 

1 hour ago, Sutton said:

I know you're not a fan but it seems Camilla Is putting the coronation in jeapody. A UK republic would certainly be a turn up for the books.

I googled it and regretted doing so pretty quickly. Couldn’t bear to wade through who was and wasn’t invited and who would be wearing who. Might I trouble you for the cliff notes?

36 minutes ago, Sutton said:

He's almost always wrong about facts too. Think of him as an anti-barometer - if he says something, then the opposite is probably true. Is bot-baiter even a concept?

For a prolific poster about here he’s all of a sudden gone quiet. I’ll await his reply to my post about Amess, if he needs some more suggestions on proper conservatives I’ll rattle some off for him.

50 minutes ago, AHPP said:

... cliff notes?

Jeremy Clarkson wrote a piece saying he hates Megan and had to backpedal after his daughter slapped him on Twitter. He and Piers Morgan were invited for a soirée to Camilla's and in doing, she no doubt hoped she show the palace position on Harry and his social media savvy wife. I'm wondering if public sentiment will say otherwise. Oh, and I like the monarchy. Trouble is, oldies do get stuck in their ways and resist change but this time the mood on the internet may say differently.

Hmmmmm. Is society f*cked? Yes, probably. Is this something new? Probably not.

Cheap credit is something that I think is underpinning so much of what has gone wrong recently, and what continues to deteriorate. Not only does it allow people to extend themselves way beyond their personal means, but I feel it also undermines the very notion of value, and what something is worth. 

Many things in life are much cheaper than they once were, but most of the big ticket items aren't. Houses and cars for instance.

As an example, the start price for a Ford Focus in 1998 when first launched was just under £9900. RRP for the base model now is over £26k, whereas £9900 adjusted for inflation is only £20500.

This debasing of the value of things has been allowed to happen slowly over a period of time, and has been largely hidden by rock bottom interest rates. Now that rates are rising, it's become rapidly apparent that no one can afford it. 

It feels like a large adjustment is coming. As someone very rightly pointed out earlier in the thread, it should not take two people working full time just to pay rent on a home. Our crappy mini-farmhouse in Devon was relisted after a fairly superficial decoration (excepting a bathroom replacement that was long overdue) at £1750/PCM by our greedy, multi millionaire former landlord. For 103 square metres and 3 bedrooms. He's already had to drop it to £1500, but who the hell can afford that for a 3 bed house that's largely unheatable?

I digress. 

We need as a society to go back to a time where credit isn't the first choice but the last resort. If we live life on credit, we're beholden to banks and are in effect in indentured servitude. All this wonderful modern technology that's available to us should be used to improve our quality of life, not used to find new ways to repress us.

• Like 12

7 minutes ago, Big J said:

Hmmmmm. Is society f*cked? Yes, probably. Is this something new? Probably not.

Cheap credit is something that I think is underpinning so much of what has gone wrong recently, and what continues to deteriorate. Not only does it allow people to extend themselves way beyond their personal means, but I feel it also undermines the very notion of value, and what something is worth. 

Many things in life are much cheaper than they once were, but most of the big ticket items aren't. Houses and cars for instance.

As an example, the start price for a Ford Focus in 1998 when first launched was just under £9900. RRP for the base model now is over £26k, whereas £9900 adjusted for inflation is only £20500.

This debasing of the value of things has been allowed to happen slowly over a period of time, and has been largely hidden by rock bottom interest rates. Now that rates are rising, it's become rapidly apparent that no one can afford it. 

It feels like a large adjustment is coming. As someone very rightly pointed out earlier in the thread, it should not take two people working full time just to pay rent on a home. Our crappy mini-farmhouse in Devon was relisted after a fairly superficial decoration (excepting a bathroom replacement that was long overdue) at £1750/PCM by our greedy, multi millionaire former landlord. For 103 square metres and 3 bedrooms. He's already had to drop it to £1500, but who the hell can afford that for a 3 bed house that's largely unheatable?

I digress. 

We need as a society to go back to a time where credit isn't the first choice but the last resort. If we live life on credit, we're beholden to banks and are in effect in indentured servitude. All this wonderful modern technology that's available to us should be used to improve our quality of life, not used to find new ways to repress us.

The last part of the post J regards credit, absolutely 100% correct but people are sadly blind to it in many ways. 

• Like 2