For all the new forum members looking for free firewood......

scbk

It's only the end of July, the hybrid willow has put on a huge amount of growth this year.

The existing ones that were coppiced for the first time have shoots up to 10ft long.

The newly planted whips have shoots about 5ft long atleast.

In about 4-5months of growing time

zero weeding or mulching has taken place!

P1080486x.thumb.jpg.974561256012b29724fcb7efed466f02.jpg

P1080488x.thumb.jpg.3c23c494caed860f4347e34dc8b774f3.jpg

Edited by scbk
  • Like 4

I did build a willow dome in the end, was running out of time, the willow was starting to grow in the water barrels.

First dome I've done, it was a nice fun wee job to do. Complete with knee high curved escape tunnel.

The main doorway faces south, so it's ideal on a sunny day, you can lie inside in the sunshine, or if it's too hot move to the sides and you're in the shade :bandit:

It's not had any weaving or trimming yet, so is looking a bit furry now!

P1080311x.jpg.833b7b476a2c567d3ce25396f38ad2b3.jpg

P1080489x.jpg.2cb4437c4c750611a5bad6ee0522f8bb.jpg

• Like 13

• 3 months later...
6 hours ago, david lawrence said:

Are these headed for a branch logger or do you grow them on to log size?

It's only a small area, I don't have a branch logger, I would get one if I thought there was much paid work with it, but I'm not sure.

I think a good size to let them grow to would be the biggest you get without having to split them.

• Like 1

On 05/11/2023 at 22:58, scbk said:

It's only a small area, I don't have a branch logger, I would get one if I thought there was much paid work with it, but I'm not sure.

I think a good size to let them grow to would be the biggest you get without having to split them.

Lovely pictures. Thanks for sharing. As to size and not-splitting, they would dry much more quickly and predictably once split.

• Like 1

I've found that willow burns much better as smaller branchy type stuff than as larger logs.

Had a few larger willows that I cut down in an area I was clearing, ringed them up split them, let them dry well, but it was very disappointing as firewood.

The thinner stuff, 2in and below though, never disappoints, but no idea why there should be a difference.

Having acquired a s/h branch logger this year I'll probably still trim out some straighter poles to process in the sawhorse and keep longer but everything else will go through the branch logger.

Same with the hazel.

Edited by coppice cutter
  • Like 1

On 15/11/2023 at 09:17, coppice cutter said:

I've found that willow burns much better as smaller branchy type stuff than as larger logs.

Had a few larger willows that I cut down in an area I was clearing, ringed them up split them, let them dry well, but it was very disappointing as firewood.

The thinner stuff, 2in and below though, never disappoints, but no idea why there should be a difference.

Bark maybe? The thinner stuff has more in proportion to the overall wood