For all the new forum members looking for free firewood......

scbk

....here you go

The price of energy may or may not level off in years to come, but I can't see it's going to be cheap any time soon?

Poke a few hybrid willow twigs in the ground and in a few years time you will have your own free firewood

:drunk:

P1080254x.jpg

P1080256x.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

28 minutes ago, GarethM said:

Or how I've afforded this really expensive log burner and now realised it's not as free as those TV programmes made it out to be.

Am sure I don't know what you mean, £2500 for a stove install, plus £100+ for a saw, plus £150 for a couple of axes, and half hour of time to collect, split and stack logs for a days heating (lets value my half hour leisure time at £10), plus lets say £10k of garden space for the logs (that is a hidden cost), these free log things are a bargain.

Exactly, I would never say fuel poverty doesn't exist, as it definitely does but mostly for those with gas or electric only.

It's not the 60s where everyone has a fireplace, I've been selling logs long enough to remember when people thought they were doing you a favour buying 6 months of you're hard work for a pittance.

• Like 2

On 12/12/2022 at 18:06, scbk said:

Poke a few hybrid willow twigs in the ground and in a few years time you will have your own free firewood

Do you use much for firewood? I've got about half and acre planted and almost ready to coppice which will provide plenty of material for more planting. 

I've just burnt my test log (turns out the fresh log was at least 55% water) and it lasted ok so worth cutting more for the fire. I've also found the long, straight rods make good bean poles of they are left for a few months to dry out to stop rooting.

Just need to get the time to weave my own log basket.

13 minutes ago, Paul in the woods said:

Do you use much for firewood? I've got about half and acre planted and almost ready to coppice which will provide plenty of material for more planting. 

I've just burnt my test log (turns out the fresh log was at least 55% water) and it lasted ok so worth cutting more for the fire. I've also found the long, straight rods make good bean poles of they are left for a few months to dry out to stop rooting.

Just need to get the time to weave my own log basket.

This is the first harvest, it was bare ground 4yrs ago. The thicker stuff is probably up to 4" diameter.

Don't get me wrong, I've put much better stuff through the chipper over the years, but the difference here is it's your own. Bit like growing your own veg. Also it's all on site where it will be burnt eventually, can cut it with a battery saw, then just bring it up with a barrow.

The thinner stuff is getting kept in water as whips for more planting. The longer bits I plan to make another living willow tunnel/archway somewhere.

If I ever had the time I would love to make one of those willow domes