Rebuilding 2007 ms880

TimberTickler

Hi all, first time posting on this forum. 

I'm rebuilding a 2007 stihl ms880. 

Saved it from the scrap. 

The history of the saw is it's been used for 2 months, then sat on a shelf for years. Then when using for the first time, the piston popped and since then has been condemned. 

I don't like seeing fixable tools been thrown away so I jumped at the task to give it a shot and rebuild. 

At first glance I thought a new piston was all it needs but further inspection need to change the crankshaft bearings, seals, gasket and new cylinder head. 

I've bought £150 in parts, but from further inspection it Could potentially cost another £450

My plan was to use the saw for milling. 

My question is, is it worth me to continue with the build with the potential it not work at all. 

Or should I just sell it for spares 

Cheers 👍

IMG-20221014-WA0003.thumb.jpg.d5b36a565960071e0b53358eb7b4ddf0.jpgIMG-20221014-WA0004.thumb.jpg.ad919a02019b295f86eca9c3b2d42118.jpgIMG_20221210_204355.thumb.jpg.f25c13a68e0335f61f087b311139e386.jpg

If it really needs all those things doing I would probably give up.

What made you decide the crankshaft bearings and seals needed doing and have you a splitter to separate the two halves?

A picture of the bore and piston  would be good to see, even if just taken through the exhaust port.

• Like 2

I could feel the bearings needed changing as they were filled up with crud from storage. 

I have since spilt the crankcase and have bought the bearings and seals to replace.

I'll attach a picture of the cylinder head. I've been told it's not possible to re-hone. It's smooth to the touch but what do you think?

IMG20221210155544.heic 

Edited by TimberTickler

Never heard of a "HEIC" image file, what is wrong with JPEG, BMP etc? In short...I can't open it.

Shame you have had to split the saw as it makes the repair much more expensive. Was the saw stored with the cylinder off? If so, the crankcase mouth should have been stuffed with clean rags.

The 880 cylinders are generally pretty tough and have usually managed to get the transfer off, hone and repair with a new piston.

In short...you could have probably got away with a cylinder clean/hone, fitting a new piston, pressure and vacuum checks, carb tune and bingo, working saw for the cost of a new piston and some time. 

Done this a fair few times, the usual culprit for the damage is the saw being stored with fuel in it which degrades over time and then it is used which seizes the saw.

• Like 3

You’re in too deep already, go for it! As above, you might get lucky with the parts you have and a polished cylinder.

For most people in the UK a 120cc chainsaw is not going to be an everyday saw (if it was get a new MS 881) just for occasional milling, blocking up the odd trunk and building some upper body strength for your summer holidays (!) so an older saw is ideal.