Let’s hear it for cypress/leylandii timber

Squaredy

I recently bought 26 tons or so of an unknown cypress species from a nearby estate.  Planning on using much of it around my site for various construction purposes.

The first log we milled though just reminds me of what fantastic timber it is.  Beautiful, strong, durable, light and super quick to dry.

Here is the stack of logs, some of which have been down for years, but still no sign of rot.

And here are a few boards drying in my office/kiln.  They are for use in a porch in January and I anticipate they will be dry from fresh sawn in about a week or so.  We will see, as it is not much of a kiln!

I love the stability and subtle growth rings.  I will report back here when it is dry and we will see how much it has distorted in the process.

5DD5E3FF-51DA-4A19-83DE-E19A9E08B1A3.jpeg

A32FD9EB-888E-4A27-B633-590EEE68AB56.jpeg

09AEC935-E97E-4AAC-B1F6-4D1C941AC77F.jpeg

• Like 19

1 hour ago, 5thelement said:

I know of a small plantation in Kent that has drawn up beautifully, it also withstood the ‘87 storm when all around was flattened.

I would have thought Leylandii would have fallen to bits by now, when do you reckon it was planted?

Edited by Mick Dempsey

20 hours ago, Squaredy said:

The first log we milled though just reminds me of what fantastic timber it is.  Beautiful, strong, durable, light and super quick to dry.

Yes I also like it for the same reasons, I milled some random Cypress a few years ago and I dip into the stack every now and again when I need a nice piece of figured wood... much of it has very nice pillowing of the grain.👍

I'll never like it as a hedge though😁

• Like 1