Tying banners up in a tree, from the ground, without being able to reach the rope after tying

Island Lescure

So I have been asked to perform the magic "putting a rope up a tree" to put up some banners. No ladders around and the rope shouldn't be just attached to the base of the tree (so people can't just untie the banners).

I haven't climbed in years so haven't had my head in knots for ages but I can't think how one could do that. Any ideas? (Think night operation, minimal gear)

Cheers,

Island

Gonna be difficult without climbing the trees, I'd have thought, if a base tie isn't allowed. Only thing I can think of, is getting a remote cinch on tree A, then accurately estimating the length of your rope and securing a heavy weight to the rope just far enough along that the weighted end would hang over a crotch on tree B, and the weight would be enough to tension the rope (with banner attached) between the trees. To get the weighed end over the branch or crotch, you'd need to have a bet of excess rope after the weight, and tie a loop in the end. Then fire a throw line over the crotch in tree B, and use the throw line to pull a very long loop of rope over the crotch. A rope joined end to end. Then pull this rope around until you have the joined ends in your hands. Then untie the joined ends, and thread one end through the loop of the end of your banner rope. Then re-join the ends, and use the doubled rope to haul the weighed end of the banner rope up and over the crotch in tree B, weight and all. The weight will have to be something that won't snag or jam in the crotch, (like a paint bucket full of concrete probably won't do)... Then, once the banner is set, pull your loop around so you have the joined ends again, untie them, and pull the pull rope free of the loop in the end of the banner rope.

You can retrieve the banner later with the aid of a long pole with a hook, or more likely blade, on the end.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Stihl123 said:

I hope these aren't Just stop oil signs 🤬

I vowed to never again visit the Roaches (excellent gritstone crag in the Staffordshire moorlands) when I last went and found a massive banner stretched over a boulder, warning me about some unnecessary bollocks. That and the signs. **************** off. If you don't know where the upper tier or the fourth cloud is, you ask a fellow climber and make a friend. Or you get lost and have to work it out. Miserable sanitisation. Get in the sea.

• Like 2

Do you need to take the banner down afterwards? Might limit what you can do if you can't climb. If you can't climb then anyone who can't climb can untie it if that is the intention.

For fun (many years ago....) we used to throw the seat of a rope swing over the branch it was tied to to put it out of reach - weight of the stick or a monkeys fist knot was enough to get it to go over - as above if you can tie the banner you can lose the end of the rope high up like that.

As for the knot? Tie a loop in a rope, at the 'top' end, tie the banner to that just below the knot. Throw the other end over the branch, and then through the loop - pull into the tree (same knot we used for rope swings) and then wrap the loose end around the branch - throw it up and over, pull tight and repeat, then throw the loose end out of reach to finish.

Now as for getting it down again....... Might need a long stick to start unwrapping it from the branch until you can reach it and throw it over to unwrap.

• Thanks 1