What mulch to use on newly planted whips?

Woodworks

We are planting up a shelter belt in one of our fields with some whips. They are a mix of Rowan, Oak and Birch. I have piles of wood chip from the processor at various stages of decomposition.

What would be best for the whips, fresh chip, well rotted or something in between? The advice with the pack was to mulch 10cm deep in a 50cm radius around each one.

Thanks

Weed supression more important than any temporary N robbing imo. so id say fresh and if possible use layers of cardboard under also.

From my experience even if you use tonnes of fresh woodchip it disapears really fast. Ideal would be using something that lasts a few yrs more but is still biodegradable like felted wool or hemp sack cloth but thoose cost more.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Stere said:

Weed supression more important than any temporary N robbing imo. so id say fresh and if possible use layers of cardboard under also.

From my experience even if you use tonnes of fresh woodchip it disapears really fast. Ideal would be using something that lasts a few yrs more but is still biodegradable like felted wool or hemp sack cloth but thoose cost more.

Sorry should have said the whips came with a biodegradable weed suppression mat and pegs to hold it in place.

We do have some wool as we just chucked it on the compost heap. The value of wool is lower than the fuel used to drive in to the depot!

Out of the growing season I don't care what age is the chip I use as mulch - I was putting chip round small shrubs yesterday that was chipped on Friday.  I'm not aware of ever having suffered problems as a result.  Remember this is surface mulch, not incorporated matter.  I have though stunted plants' growth by planting into ground recently victimised by a stumpgrinder.

So I don't think it matter what chip you use

• Like 1

Wool is high in nutrients

Expensive "wool compost" high price its being flogged for:

MARSHALLSGARDEN.COM

A wonderful 100% peat free potting compost, made from renewable resources the perfect growing aid for containers...

Edited by Stere

4 hours ago, Stere said:

Quick question, Isn't N robbing only in the top 6 inches? i read some papers that say wood chippings actually add N via microorganism action below 6-10 inches? Just going off what i've read though, more of a problem for shallow rooting plants? would be happy to learn more.

I've never heard any discussion before dependent on depth apart from surface vs incorporated.

My understanding is that nitrogen robbery is comparatively short-term as nitrogen is used up assisting the decay process:  in the long term. nitrogen is returned to the soil in surplus within the breakdown products of that decaying

• Like 6

1 hour ago, nepia said:

I've never heard any discussion before dependent on depth apart from surface vs incorporated.

My understanding is that nitrogen robbery is comparatively short-term as nitrogen is used up assisting the decay process:  in the long term. nitrogen is returned to the soil in surplus within the breakdown products of that decaying

The FC did some research a few years back, it may be published online.

Pretty sure the nitrogen issue was found to be negligible.
The main issue was applying fresh woodchip with leaf matter too thickly around very small/young plants and the resulting heat drying the soil/root balls. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Now that's a new one on me.  Wouldn't happen on my soil I think (Weald clay)!  But I am wary of mulching heavily with fresh chip in the growing season.

I may be right, I may be wrong to be so but it's no biggie to play safe and store the stuff for a while so I can either mulch in the growing season with composted chip or in winter with fresh.

Cheers

• Like 3