Past it???

Ben10

Ok, if it were me, i would forget all about working on trees. Get yourself the licences to inspect for bats and then you will be able to rob people blind to inform them nope, not a bat in sight, never saw one, but this is the sort of tree/building/etc they like, so you can kiss your planning bye bye unless you pay me to come here every few months for years on end when i "might" say it is ok..

john..

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, devon TWiG said:

If you are limited on start up funds then perhaps a long handled hedgetrimmer ...loads of work around for them , no great skill / qualification needed ...

It's the truth. I still earn good money on hedges. There's a niche between "proper" arb ie. Big fells and classy reductions, and what the average gardener can manage. I take on nasty hedge reductions and tall hedges fairly regularly and get decent money for it. 

It's far from glamorous but it's proven to be profitable and regular work.

I've managed to kit myself out fairly well for it over the years. It's still heavy work but if you're good at it and can get it neat looking and tidied up quickly there's no reason you couldn't live well off it.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, john87 said:

Ok, if it were me, i would forget all about working on trees. Get yourself the licences to inspect for bats and then you will be able to rob people blind to inform them nope, not a bat in sight, never saw one, but this is the sort of tree/building/etc they like, so you can kiss your planning bye bye unless you pay me to come here every few months for years on end when i "might" say it is ok..

john..

👍these are the slightly left field replies that I would never have thought of on my own

12 hours ago, woody paul said:

With stump grinding you have got to be good on spanners if you want to keep running costs down.

And is there much work for them as most tree surgeons my way have there own or just get stump busters in.

Were are you based.

North Yorkshire 

12 hours ago, dan blocker said:

Have you got any tickets yet? If your thinking of stump grinding it’s useful to have a saw to reduce stumps where you can to minimise grinding. Same with a mewp - ideally you need the necessary saw tickets to provide a full service. The advantage of a mewp is you can provide a service to others - gutter cleaning, chimneys, roof inspections etc, but you’ll need a 3.5 ton tow vehicle ideally if going for a 18 mtr tracked mewp. Have you spoken to any local arbs? What about finding out if your cut out for it before you jump🤔 and try a few weekends/ hols.

No tickets yet, but I’m used to using a saw and logging/splitting, using chippers on a friends farm so got a small glimpse into it.

2 minutes ago, Ben10 said:

👍these are the slightly left field replies that I would never have thought of on my own

This is a lot harder than it sounds…. Essentially you will need to become an ecologist - so back to full time studying however that’s not to say other routes within this field aren’t possible. You will need to get a decent amount of volunteering under your belt before anyone will give you references to apply for a bat class license. If it’s of interest dm me as I hold class licenses for a few different species 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JLA1990 said:

This is a lot harder than it sounds…. Essentially you will need to become an ecologist - so back to full time studying however that’s not to say other routes within this field aren’t possible. You will need to get a decent amount of volunteering under your belt before anyone will give you references to apply for a bat class license. If it’s of interest dm me as I hold class licenses for a few different species 

Hi There.

What are all these lantra one day course things for then?? I was thinking of doing one, just because i can really, but are you saying they are pointless [a bit like all the give us 7K and you will be an electrician in 3 weeks nonsense??]

john..

27 minutes ago, john87 said:

Hi There.

What are all these lantra one day course things for then?? I was thinking of doing one, just because i can really, but are you saying they are pointless [a bit like all the give us 7K and you will be an electrician in 3 weeks nonsense??]

john..

These are one day courses to teach you how how to maintain and operate basic machinery efficiently, brush cutters/ chippers etc. 

I only know one person who is licensed to inspect for Bats, it took him years to gain this credential.

No idea what call there would be for stump grinder in North Yorkshire. 

In my area essex suffolk border you would have a job getting work for stump grinder as most companies have there own. 

Ever thought of grass cutting I always get asked in my area about it. 

51 minutes ago, john87 said:

Hi There.

john..

Hi John, Jon here….

Essentially yes, these are to teach arb guys the likely signs of bats roosting in trees (good practise guides), by no means are they a qualification that would allow you to write a report or give chargeable advice. Not knocking the courses as a whole, in a way they’re a good thing but if it were me and I had a interest in ecology find a consultant who you can go out with you for a few hours - he teaches you about bats and you teach him how to climb proficiently. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, JLA1990 said:

Hi John, Jon here….

Essentially yes, these are to teach arb guys the likely signs of bats roosting in trees (good practise guides), by no means are they a qualification that would allow you to write a report or give chargeable advice. Not knocking the courses as a whole, in a way they’re a good thing but if it were me and I had a interest in ecology find a consultant who you can go out with you for a few hours - he teaches you about bats and you teach him how to climb proficiently. 

Hi Jon,

Thank you very much for your advice.. On the electician forums you get loads of people that have spent thousands to be "Part "P" qualified" only there is no such thing, part "P" is a building reg, nothing to do with you being an "electrician" Similar sort of thing i guess??

john..