Slumbering.

coppice cutter

Never been one for "banking" a fire with wood, always thought it wasn't best suited to it and it drives the chimney sweep nuts, so always tended towards using a drop of coal if I wanted the cooker kept in for a while.

However, coal has went a bit mad and I've plenty of wood of most types available so has anyone ever found any particular type of wood that was ideally suited to it?

I know hardwoods are generally better than softwoods but just curious if there's anything that just sits and slumbers cleanly that wee bit better than the rest?

Edited by coppice cutter

12 minutes ago, coppice cutter said:

Never been one for "banking" a fire with wood, always thought it wasn't best suited to it and it drives the chimney sweep nuts, so always tended towards using a drop of coal if I wanted the cooker kept in for a while.

However, coal has went a bit mad and I've plenty of wood of most types available so has anyone ever found any particular type of wood that was ideally suited to it?

I know hardwoods are generally better than softwoods but just curious if there's anything that just sits and slumbers cleanly that wee bit better than the rest?

I don't think any wood slumbers " cleanly " However I sometimes put a big lump of Oak on last thing at night ( it being relatively slow burning ) and in the morning there are enough embers to get it going quite easily .

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 2

I slumber all hardwoods and just make sure to have 30 minutes to an hour hard fire in the morning with softwood. Never had an issue and Ive recently swept my liner after 12 months and it was clean as a whistle. Maybe a couple of pint glasses worth of soot. 

In fact we're heading out now for the afternoon and the kitchen Stove is banked right up with Oak and Beech and slumbered down. :D Will be cosy when we get home in a few hours. 

• Like 2

Oak definitely sprung to mind as you can hardly get the bugger to get a gee on when you do want a bit of heat in a hurry.

Also toying with pulling out the grate and ashpan and putting a bit of vermiculite board in the bottom instead to see how that works.

In my mind it should stay in better with whatever remaining wood sitting on a good bed of embers rather than having them falling through the grate.

Should add, it won't be staying in 24/7 and will still be re-lit every morning

Edited by coppice cutter

8 minutes ago, coppice cutter said:

Oak definitely sprung to mind as you can hardly get the bugger to get a gee on when you do want a bit of heat in a hurry.

Also toying with pulling out the grate and ashpan and putting a bit of vermiculite board in the bottom instead to see how that works.

In my mind it should stay in better with whatever remaining wood sitting on a good bed of embers rather than having them falling through the grate.

Should add, it won't be staying in 24/7 and will still be re-lit every morning

Mine is a wood only stove and has no grate so don't have that problem .