Aspen 4 + stihl oil or Motomix?

HDAV

2 hours ago, Bolt said:

@Stubby Do you know (by chance) if that Redline 2t stuff is similar to Castrol R40?

Does it smell good?

Stubby just put a bit of Cassy R in to any fuel, you dont need much about 2 tea spoon full per gallon, and as you know it smells fantastic, bit like going to a vintage bike sprint or a race meeting, i have put it in all sorts from 50cc Fizzy,s to 750 triumphs 😂

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Bolt said:

@Stubby Do you know (by chance) if that Redline 2t stuff is similar to Castrol R40?

Does it smell good?

R40 I seem to remember is a " castor bean/vegetable "  based oil made for 4 stroke engines and should changed more often than a mineral or synthetic oil . Red line 2t is a fully synthetic I believe designed for 2 stroke engines .

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, HDAV said:

Thinking I’ll pick up some of the husqvarna fuel

Just to complicate things a bit further.

First alkylate fuel I used was the Husqvarna one, simply because I was at my nearest Kubota dealer getting a few service parts and they had it on the shelf.

Next I got was Aspen, again simply because I happened to be in a different dealership and they had it.

I'm pretty sure that all the stuff I'm using it in runs slightly better on the Aspen, so much so that I'll be buying it specifically from now on even though I could get the Husqvarna one cheaper.

I know that's not reflected by peoples experiences on here, all I've been able to rationalise is that everything I use it in is old school carburettor, even the new stuff, and maybe Aspen is designed to perform better across a broader range of equipment.

Haven't used the Stihl stuff as the local Stihl dealership is pants.

*edit* - forgot to add, and more relevant to the thread title, as I move more things over to alkylate I'll probably go to Aspen 4 and just add oil to make things simpler.

Edited by coppice cutter
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Stubby said:

R40 I seem to remember is a " caster bean/vegetable "  based oil made for 4 stroke engines and should changed more often than a mineral or synthetic oil . Red line 2t is a fully synthetic I believe designed for 2 stroke engines .

The yanks refer to it as "bean oil".

Still available but always was potentially disastrous in strokers in the wet as the oil reacted badly with water and would stick the throttles open, more than a few people killed because of it.

So Castrol formulated A747 for two strokes, enough castor to prevent seizures, but much more user friendly and no sticking throttles.

Also still available and until recently pretty much the go to oil for classic racing two strokes.

• Like 1

Another option, use Esso Supreme 99+, in most Southern areas it comes from the Esso refinery in Southampton and is ethanol free, you have to check depending where you are exactly. Each station knows where the fuel comes from, in my area it's not available ex Southampton it comes from Stanlow refinery which doesn't do the ethanol free, it's E5. It says on all pumps it states E5 but this is a max, so 0 is their option, but only Southampton supplied fuel, as I travel I pick it up when I'm out and about. I use it and stuff runs great on it, and of course with no ethanol it doesn't go off, I use it with Husky XP 2 stroke and just to be belt and braces a bit of stabilizer. Half the cost of Aspen etc

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Fatboy2017 said:

Another option, use Esso Supreme 99+, in most Southern areas it comes from the Esso refinery in Southampton and is ethanol free, you have to check depending where you are exactly. Each station knows where the fuel comes from, in my area it's not available ex Southampton it comes from Stanlow refinery which doesn't do the ethanol free, it's E5. It says on all pumps it states E5 but this is a max, so 0 is their option, but only Southampton supplied fuel, as I travel I pick it up when I'm out and about. I use it and stuff runs great on it, and of course with no ethanol it doesn't go off, I use it with Husky XP 2 stroke and just to be belt and braces a bit of stabilizer. Half the cost of Aspen etc

It will still leave carbon deposits in your engine though unlike an Alkylate fuel , but yes a good option .

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, lurch_917 said:

showing your age now with that comment.... when did Britain last build a British bike or car .

Norton, triumph, Land Rover, Range Rover, Aston Martin etc 

not necessarily British owned, or all models but plenty are still built in Britain :) 

• Like 1