Aspen 4 + stihl oil or Motomix?

HDAV

So considering using posh fuel but…

mix of unleaded and mixed fuel kit is it better to buy aspen 4 and mix for the oil mixed engines? Or buy the pre mixed?

Fuelling a mix of Honda 4 stroke and stihl 2mix and 4 mix kit domestically so irregular use maintaining 4 properties within the family 

part of the reason for asking is considering a buying a bigger aspen 4 drum between me and my dad rather than keep buying the 5l ones and creating more plastic waste 

my dads mower and strimmer has used 10l of aspen and I have used a jug of Motomix so I recon could use 20l a year between us. And with a 5year shelf life a 55litre drum might make sense ? 

If you decide to buy the 'neat' 4-stroke Stihl motoplus4 or Aspen 4, then at least you have options to dispense it for use in both 2 or 4 stroke machinery- however use a decent 2-stroke synthetic oil with your mix, such as the Green Stihl HP (not the ultra) oil, as this is the oil Stihl automatically add to their pre-mix 2-stroke fuel, as it has a stabiliser added, whereas the cheap Red version or the more expensive Ultra version doesn't

Edited by pleasant
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, pleasant said:

If you decide to buy the 'neat' 4-stroke Stihl motoplus4 or Aspen 4, then at least you have options to dispense it for use in both 2 or 4 stroke machinery- however use a decent 2-stroke synthetic oil with your mix, such as the Green Stihl HP (not the ultra) oil, as this is the oil Stihl automatically add to their pre-mix 2-stroke fuel, as it has a stabiliser added, whereas the cheap Red version or the more expensive Ultra version doesn't

ah interesting I currently use the green stihl oil with pump fuel was considering buying a gallon of super unleaded (less ethanol) but my dad was convinced to buy or had a deal on 3 5l of aspen 4 with new mower (husqvarna) and I recently bought a a gallon of Motomix 2 from local dealer £27.50….

so as I just used the last of the second can of aspen since may (cutting lawns in mid November 🙈) and season seem to be getting longer I wondered about buying a bigger drum between us logicistcally not ideal  but neither is having to go a buy “special” fuel so buying it once every couple of years when taking mower for service makes almost sense 

I used to use the red stihl oil but bought green when the red litre ran out (takes a while with our usage to use a litre of 2 stroke oil only mix a litre at a time and that can last a while between uses 

Edited by HDAV

This seems to be the most cost effective method of buying 

OAKLEYSGARDENMACHINERY.CO.UK

Alkylate fuel ideal for 4-stroke Husqvarna engines. Minimises engine deposits, helping maintain performance, reduce...

what’s the difference between aspen, stihl and husqvarna branded bottles? 🤔

1 hour ago, HDAV said:

Alkylate fuel ideal for 4-stroke Husqvarna engines. Minimises engine deposits, helping maintain performance, reduce...

I use this  ( Husqvarna XP Power 4 ) and mix with Red Line 2t Racing oil at 50:1 . This because I have a lot of this oil left .

• Like 2

4 hours ago, pleasant said:

Surely he doesn't need the stabiliser with Aspen? I thought motomix has ultra oil in, interesting if it's not.

2 hours ago, HDAV said:

A lot are the same or very similar.......neither Stihl or Husqvarna have their own refineries, so it is made for them to their specification as there are slight differences. It have been reported that Stihl's motomix specification is the highest requested and has the highest octane rating. I understand a similar producer of the stuff called Truefuel do/did make Stihl's motomix to their specs