Does my tree need removing?

Helene

Hello

I have a maple tree (20-30m tall) that is hollow with apparent decay. Had a tree surgeon who said it’s very dangerous, at risk of falling and need removing asap. Just after further advice, whether you agree or not based on the photos.

Should specify that the tree is under a TPO so would need to do an application for any work required…

Helene

287D3097-7D30-481C-8B26-D0B2A908691E.jpeg

427E1CC9-049C-4507-A992-286E8EF7B61E.jpeg

F027B72B-44D1-4346-8008-6AFB52347FB7.jpeg

I'd not want to go against the advice of a bloke who has actually seem the tree. Having said that, how qualified was he? The tree seems to be dealing with the problem as it sees fit, but it's impossible to give a definite yes or no from photos. 

Don't fall for the NPTC qualified line; I could train my Mrs to pass most NPTC units in about a week. Does the guy have any academic Arb qualifications? 

34 minutes ago, Helene said:

Hello,

Thanks for your answer. Found them through checkatrade and below are the qualifications mentioned. what do you mean by this?
 The tree seems to be dealing with the problem as it sees fit

81831A7C-371E-42AF-9262-7EDE1E3CA928.jpeg

They are basically practical assessments which cover the use of chainsaws etc. Thats not to say the company don't know their stuff though.

As said above, no one can give an accurate assessment from looking at a picture. If I absolutely had to though, i'd say its not at immediate risk of falling over (under normal weather conditions).

Ok this makes sense, I realise it is difficult with photos only! Will try to get someone in for second opinion.

The officer from the council would also need to be giving their own approval that it is required, so will start an application in parallel.

Possibly an exaggeration to say it's 'very dangerous'. The qualifications don't indicate any knowledge beyond the practical. So maybe he/she's interested in securing the job to remove the tree. Could be wrong, though, if root plate decay was seen that we can't see.

But because it is TPO'd, you need to justify it to the Council. It doesn't look bad enough to be done under the 'dangerous' exemption, so an application would be required to allow removal. Based on what I have seen the Council might well come back and say that removal is excessive and that a reduction would do to stabilise it. It's then a case of trying to persuade that a removal and replanting will be the best thing in the long run, for the amenity of the area.

You could get your tree surgeon to write a report justifying removal for teh TPO application but his qualifications aren't impressive and if you have to pay for the report I suggest you get someone with a bit of credentials behind them. If the guy's offering the report for nothing (there's no such thing as free, and don't ask until you've got a fixed price written quote for the removal), funnily enough I'd be almost as worried.

• Like 2

Given the amount of decay in the middle and significant growth of the columns at the side it's been like that for a while. I'd go for second opinion from someone else, ideally get a recommendation from someone you know rather than Checkatrade. Alternatively there might be someone on here close if you're prepared to give a rough location?

I am presuming it’s a sycamore, so on that basis..

I think it won’t be long before it fails, could be years yet, but it’s certainly not got much of a future as it is.

If you are very keen to retain it I’d suggest starting a pollard cycle, take a third off, rinse and repeat every five years or so till it’s had it’s day.

If you’re not that fussed about it, have it out (I would) depending on what the tree officer says of course.

• Like 3